650ss and 6500ss

Started by sharkman, January 21, 2015, 03:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

What are the factory drag specs for these reels? What are the best drag upgrades?  During research I found a custom penn 6500ss. The reel looked to have a spool sized washer where the factory under spool washer is located.  The spool sized washer washer looked to be keyed.  Was this for increased drag?  The site was in japanese. Thanks for the help.

Shark Hunter

Sharkman,
Sal just did a tutorial on these. He makes them all Hex. It was on the 750, but the principle is the same. This is very informative for the ss series.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12413.0
Life is Good!

sharkman

Thanks Shark Hunter. The article is great.

sharkman

Found the photo. Does anybody know what they have done.

Shark Hunter

Interesting!
Looks like something to help with the spool wobble, and maybe add some extra drag.
Is this your reel?
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Nice post. I have to agree with you Sal. Overkill for sure. I was impressed by his skill with that grinder and cutting wheel! :o ;D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

If I had all of that equipment, I would have built the complete reel, he made the washers by hand :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Very innovative.  Is that a cork drag washer?  I wonder if he considered carbontex?  I think it would be better than cork.

viurem lliures o morirem

sharkman

Unfortunity not my reel Shark Hunter.  Thanks Alto Mare for the video.