If buying a used International to send to Cal Sheets ....

Started by BrianBM, November 01, 2014, 07:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianBM

'Tis the season, at least in New York, when the bride reminds you with a serious look that you're not as young as you used to be when she sees you with a surf rod.  (And this is true.)  It is also the season when tackle flea markets pop up like toadstools. A few guys will be peddling International reels.  If Satan possesses me to go buy another, it'll be an International II (the other two I have are II reels, a 16 and a 30SW) simply so that I only have to learn one way to shift gears.  I wouldn't mind a 20 and would definitely like a 50 or 50W. 

Some reels will have line and some won't.  If you wanted to assess a reel of this vintage, what would you check?  I can't ask the seller to pretend to be a tuna and run down the aisle with line in his teeth.  Any reel so purchased will be sent to Cal as a matter of course, nice man that he is, but there's no reason to send a reel that needs more work then needed. 

No rush on answers.  I am retired as of Wednesday and will be somewhere in the surf for a day or two.   ;D

SoCalAngler

Brian,

Cal does awsome work but  if I was you I'd look for a used VSX if you need the drag pressure or a VSII if lighter drag will work with the two speed. I say this because after you send Cal a reel have all the goodies you want put into it, which will make a great reel, it may be cheaper to find a used VSXII or VSII.

Now if you choose to go the other route and find a reel in the correct price range to have all the work to your spects I'd look for a few things.

I'm sure you have a eye for something that looks beat up or worked really hard. Not that is a bad thing but for me if something looks not in so great shape from the outside may mean the inside is in even worse shape. Granted this is not always the case, stuff happens to fishing gear as we know but just like a car, house, heck even a lawn mower, the more beat up the outside leads me to believe the more beat up the inside.

I'd bring a screw driver with me the markets and ask if the seller didn't mind if you can pop a sideplate. If they say they didn't want you too, one red flag. If you cant pop a sideplate ask if you can make sure all the slideplate screws will loosen, even ask them to do it if they won't let you so you don't mess up a screw or sctatch their reel. If that is a no go that would be a second red flag for me I'd have to pass on the reel.

Like I said Cal does fantastic work on the older Penns (and on new reels also) but in the long run it maybe cheaper to find a used VSX or VSII. If you know which reels your looking for give Cal's 2 Speed a call get a price for the work your looking to have done first. Then you will know what price you should pay for a reel to be upgraded and not come out paying more for a reel and the work than what the reel is worth.

alantani

the international "II's" will have carbon fiber drags.  just grease them and you will save alot of money versus having to buy a new drag washer to replace the old composite drags in some of the really early international models. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!