Nice Cobia on the Pastime Yesterday

Started by Newell Nut, October 09, 2015, 09:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

The weather has cleared and we got a day out and it was a nice day all around the boat. With all my high tech gear I certainly have an advantage and my catch percentage is pretty good. BUT a dose of reality for all of us gear heads is that the two guys pictured with the big cobia kept taking turns fighting it and it was caught on a Rainshadow $25 solid 20-40 that I had build for the party boat with the cheap SS twisted wire guides and a long beach 65 that I put cfs in. I guess some of my mojo rubbed off on the build. ;D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/deepseafishingdaytona/albums/72157657290582744

RowdyW

It looks like that Cobia was gaffed right in the middle of the steaks. I guess the mate doesn't know where the head end is.

Shark Hunter

Great pics as always Dwight. I like the one with the guy frowning. The gray suit got that one. :D
Life is Good!

Newell Nut

Quote from: RowdyW on October 09, 2015, 10:44:00 PM
It looks like that Cobia was gaffed right in the middle of the steaks. I guess the mate doesn't know where the head end is.
We have one mate that does it right and I preach to them but big Mike gets excited every time and just slaps at them with the gaff. He hit my biggest cobia about 5 times before he got him good and I was ready to throw him over. Fish looked like buckshot hit him.

conchydong

It's always nice to get a good gaff shot but the bottom line is that the fish is in the boat. Nice fish. I love Cobia.

Dominick

Quote from: conchydong on October 10, 2015, 12:25:23 AM
It's always nice to get a good gaff shot but the bottom line is that the fish is in the boat.
Nope.  I have a running battle with the mates in Baja.  As far as they are concerned the fish isn't going to their house.  I tell them to wait I'll bring the fish around to the gaff.  The language barrier gets in the way.  The way it's done is the gaff is put in the water about 2-3 feet from the hull.  The fisherman maneuvers the fish toward the boat and the gaff is lifted to catch the fish in the head or collar area.  I also hate to see a perfect fillet ruined by sloppy gaffing.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

conchydong

Quote from: Dominick on October 11, 2015, 01:26:59 AM
Quote from: conchydong on October 10, 2015, 12:25:23 AM
It's always nice to get a good gaff shot but the bottom line is that the fish is in the boat.
Nope.  I have a running battle with the mates in Baja.  As far as they are concerned the fish isn't going to their house.  I tell them to wait I'll bring the fish around to the gaff.  The language barrier gets in the way.  The way it's done is the gaff is put in the water about 2-3 feet from the hull.  The fisherman maneuvers the fish toward the boat and the gaff is lifted to catch the fish in the head or collar area.  I also hate to see a perfect fillet ruined by sloppy gaffing.  Dominick

Dominick, While we all desire a patient and expertly placed gaff job, different conditions dictate what happens. If you have a large fish on light tackle in waters that are full of Sharks and very large Barracudas, sometimes you have to take a shot when you get it, even if it is not optimal. I'd still rather have a fish with a hole in the fillet, than no fish at all.
Even the fishermen that catch highly valuable Atlantic Bluefin Tuna, take harpoon shots whenever they can, regardless of where it hits the flesh.

Scott

Newell Nut

Scott

I have to agree with you to take whatever shot you can get when the sharks and cudas are around. Too many times we just pull a head out of the water.

otownjoe

I'm one of those people that says just get it in the boat. Fishing on party boats has so many things going against you I will never complain about where its gaffed.  Especially with a fish like cobia who are notorious for coming to the boat green and then all hell breaks loose. Now turning a delicious fish into a piece of Swiss cheese is another story.

Dominick

I guess i have to modify my last post.  Please add to my post "all things being equal" don't ruin meat.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.