Chinese manufactured Owner hooks

Started by cathauler65, October 12, 2014, 08:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whalebreath

QuoteFree enterprise is wonderful -- but use your own good judgement based on your own needs.

Well posted Fred-Thanks

Carl Z
Vancouver BC

Jeri

Hi All,

This is an interesting discussion, and some generalisations have been made, which may or may not upset some folks in our 'global family' – but the discussion does have value. What one person in the 'family' offers as a new observation, might well be of benefit to many others – this is the basis of our 'information exchange'.

A potential problem arises when folks are perhaps a little short of time and shoot off a reply – perhaps with less than adequate explanation for their point of view. We all have personal prejudices – justified or just stupid – but as Bryan says we are all dysfunctional – but it doesn't make comments wrong – just short on facts.

We have all seen how lots of companies have evolved or diversified to remain competitive in the global market – Mustad, Diawa and Shimano are prime examples. Both Diawa and Shimano have subsidiary factories outside Japan, to make their products; yet for their prime products they still retain manufacture in Japan. The global market demands a certain level of quality balanced against price, and this is what some of these companies are doing – just to stay in business.

There will be those in our 'global family' that have enough years on their body to remember when no one would touch products with labelling stating 'Made in Japan' – this was certainly the case in the 1950-60 period. Mass produced items of that period were seriously problematic – but cheap, then they started to refine their production priorities to focus on quality, and now everyone holds a product with a 'Made in Japan' label in high esteem. Taiwan went through the same evolution – as a generalisation. What is going to happen when Chinese manufacturing goes through that evolution???

By the very nature of our 'family' and its make up, we probably have some very diverse and knowledgeable people in our midst – as that is the nature of our group – we are inquisitive enough to look inside our reels, rather than just take them to a shop to be serviced. And when we look, we find some of the shortcomings of various manufacturers. We also find some of the excellence in some reels as well, but it is the fact that we 'look' that sets us apart from the general population – irrespective of where some 'accident of birth' has us being born in the world. Our actual strength is our diversity – globally and in which aspects of fishing we partake.

Whether Owner are just another recent company to transfer their main manufacturing base to China, and then maintain their quality in the world market – or not?? Time will tell, whether we see a repeat of the Mustad story – we will see. Like all these situations, it is mostly based on the levels of quality control that the parent company takes across to their new factory, and how they maintain that element.

Perhaps a solution might be to test some older models (Made in Japan) against some of their recent products (Made in China), and see whether we have to be concerned about a drop in quality.

There are good and bad everywhere, and we should avoid generalisations, as they defy logical and intelligent thinking – which is what this group has excelled at in all the time I have been a member, and long may it continue.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

jonnou

I find this to be a valid debate and hope that all parties can listen without taking offence. We are all in the position of having a choice of where we purchase goods. There is good and bad out there and this is the sort of place where we learn and listen to others experience and make our own choices accordingly. My personal opinion on the subject of goods produced In the PRC or Taiwan is that the best and worst is produced there  its  up to us to to find out the difference.
just my two cents
Jon

cathauler65

Will try and sort some pics out. I do intend to contact Owner on the issue but work keeps getting in the way.

theswimmer

Brians point,
"Are the hooks authentic or counterfeit?"

I import material from all over the world and I can tell you from personal experience that counterfeit products make it here all the time.
Most buyers are sitting behind a CRT and never have had nor will they ever have a personal relationship with the people they are buying from overseas.
They see a lower price than they are paying and jump at saving a dime.

One of the biggest sporting goods companies in the US got stung last year on branded baseball gear, they lost over $300,000 in product to the US customs office. The product was on the shelf being sold at a retail store and one of the real products field reps noticed it.
Good luck getting a refund on those shipments!
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn