distances on the water

Started by alantani, June 24, 2014, 09:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

i found a distance calculator and was able to plug in latitude and longitude and get some distance estimates.  from san diego straight to alijos rocks is 471 nautical miles.  all of these boats cruise at 10 knots, so we are looking at 47 hours of running time.  from san diego to cedros is 290 nm, or 29 hours cruising time.  and finally, cedros to alijos is 196 nm or 19.6 hours run time. 

for a 5 day, i am thinking of running from noon (day one) to 6am the next day (day 2), putting us 180 nm down the coast.  putzing around all day (day two) and leaving at 6pm puts on station at cedros at 5am (day three), just in time for a morning bite.  then a full two days of fishing (day three and four), leaving at 6pm and 120nm up the coast at 6am (day five), leaving only 23 hours to fish and still cover 170 nautical miles and 17 hours of run time.  running an hour and fishing an hour would give us a shot at six different spots along the coast where like no one has ever fished before.  that is how i would plan an inshore 5 day trip.

for a 7 to 8 day trip, we would be back to a traditional schedule that would depend on the bite that is happening at the time. we would be looking hard time in trolling prison for two days down and two days back, with a possiblilty of a break if we go to cedros on the way down or back.   it really depends on the bite.  you might actually have more actual fishing time on an inshore 5 day than an offshort 7-8 day! 

just in case you were interested!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Aiala

You could always schedule a 10-day. Plenty of time for everything on one of those; Guadalupe, Alijos, Thetis, Uncle Sam, etc. Yellows, YFT, Hoo, Grouper, Pargo, and who knows what else... plus kite fishing! Geez, I've got to go on another trip like that before I get too dang old.  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

floating doc

I'm seriously considering next year.
Central Florida

Big Tim

Quote from: Aiala on June 24, 2014, 09:39:16 PM
You could always schedule a 10-day. Plenty of time for everything on one of those; Guadalupe, Alijos, Thetis, Uncle Sam, etc. Yellows, YFT, Hoo, Grouper, Pargo, and who knows what else... plus kite fishing! Geez, I've got to go on another trip like that before I get too dang old.  :D

~A~
I hope you get your chance  ;D my budget doesn't allow for that, but maybe some day

alantani

you are looking at $3k for an 8 day.  :-\

Aiala

Quote from: Big Tim on June 24, 2014, 10:07:45 PM
I hope you get your chance. ;D My budget doesn't allow for that, but maybe some day.

I'll have to save for a couple of years, but like the Boss said, a modest but steady donation into Ye Olde Coffee Can will eventually add up.  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Capt Ahab

You are not taking into account wind, current and the fact that no boat travels in a straight line

But still seems like and awesome trip!

alantani

true, that, but the boat can go a little faster than 10 knots if needed.