Chasing trout around Taumarunui, New Zealand

Started by redsetta, November 11, 2014, 10:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 12, 2014, 12:57:16 AM
Beautiful place Justin, thanks for taking us along. Also, not a bad looking trout ;).
Sal
Same here Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

foakes

Beautiful scenery & great report!

My wife and I seriously considered moving to New Zealand about 12 years ago.

Unfortunately, upon further investigation, we found out that New Zealand would not accept us -- since we were too old -- and might impact their social system too much.  We had our own resources,  but ran into too many hurdles -- and ended up in the Sierras of California instead.

Here in the US, nearly anyone who can get across the border from another country, even illegally, will be granted full benefits and amnesty.  I think New Zealand has the right idea -- although it seems very restrictive for legitimate folks who want to enjoy a great country -- and would not impact their social system.

Thanks for the wonderful story & pics!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Islandgypsy

Justin, spent six weeks in N.Z. in 1980-both North and South Islands. Probably the most beautiful place I've visited . The people are wonderful and treated this 'yank' like family. You're a lucky man!

redsetta

Sorry to hear about that Fred.
If it's any consolation, we've long toyed with the idea of moving to Central CA for the Sierras and the sea - I love it there!
Islandgypsy - must've been a great trip. It could be the 'romaticism of the past', but NZ seemed like paradise in the '70s and '80s. Glad you've got fond memories of the trip!
Cheers lads

foakes

Everything works out for the best, Justin --

We have traveled and explored many of the mountain areas of North America -- and the Sierras offer more trees, animals, access, recreation, boating, kayaking, cross country and downhill skiing, and resources than any other places we have been to, in our opinion.

The backpacking is spectacular -- anything from easy day hikes, to the John Muir Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, and hundreds of lakes and trails to explore.  Generally with no other people around, believe it or not -- As long as you stay out of the National Parks.  We are in the National Forest -- big difference.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

wallacewt

1959 was my 1st visit,a good year,
i won a big melbourne cup pool on a horse called mcdougal
rock&roll was outlawed,
top of the hits was "running bear"
beer was shocking
fishing was great
maori,s taught me how to eat the eyes out of fresh snapper
just stick your finger in eye socket and jerk em out
beautiful country,no money,no poverty
had 4yrs there,ah to be young again

MFB

Hi Wallace,

Don't think any your qualified to comment on our beer, considering some of the stuff your Ozzies try and pass off as a brew. ;D

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Islandgypsy

Justin,
A 'mate ' and I were backpacking. When we got off the ferry in Pahia(sp) on the South Island we went out on the highway and held up a cardboard sign saying 'Christchurch' ( hitchhiking  was common in those days)
Many cars later, we added 'Will buy gas'. Many cars later we added 'And beer'. The first car along left forty feet of skid marks coming to a stop. The beer cost A LOT more than the gas ! We wound up spending the night in his bothee(sp) or guest house. He took us fishing the next day and we landed a number of beautiful Rainbows. Fond memories of N. Z., indeed.-Greg

redsetta

Jeez you guys have some cracker stories!
Wallace - that must've been a hell of a good trip.
Just had a listen to 'Running Bear' - what a classic, and written by the Big Bopper no less!
Can't say I've ever been tempted by snapper eyeballs though ;)
Spot on with the 'no money, no poverty' comment - was a golden time for sure.
Fred - my brother and family have been chipping away at the John Muir for the past few years and reckon it's amazing.
His mate rode the Pacific Crest (mountain bike with a trailer) too - but he's a madman  ;)
You're lucky to live up there!
Greg - that's a 100% pure Kiwi story if ever I heard one :D ;D

jonnou

Thanks for the report Justin
I did some spraying (agricultural chemicals) down there  (Taumaranui)when I was in my early 20's
the farmland was extreme
you didn't fall down the hill you fell off!!!
Fred you are welcome in my bit of NZ and can stay as long as you like (or till we run out of Beer)
thanks for the stories Guys

wallacewt

hi mfb
the beer was so bad then
(55yrs ago) we only drank db stout.
all the aussie beer now is foriegn owned  and some of it is real crook
i gotta agree
i only drink coopers,its brewed in the bottle
will put hairs on your chest like 1/2' conduit

MFB

Hi Wallace,

Already have a better than average covering of hair on my chest, in fact I wish some of it would migrate to the top of my head. Can recommend Steinlager for summer.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

redsetta

Quote...you didn't fall down the hill you fell off!!!
So true Jon - fencing ridgelines around there must be like an extreme sport

theswimmer

Nice Fish!
On my list for sure.
Like Fred I can fish in my back yard but still have the drive to adventure far and wide.
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn