Old grease removal and drying procedures, before re-lubing

Started by sinkerswim, October 02, 2010, 04:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Quote from: lyt on July 10, 2012, 05:14:50 PM
although somewhat of a rookie yesterday I just had great success with dish liquid and hot water and a small stiff nylon brush, there is no way in heaven I would ever use anything I needed a respirator and a hazmat suit to wash down my reel parts.  That's just my opinion of course and perhaps my reels are not as bad as some.  Basically any de-greaser, like the stuff I found at costco that is "safe"  and not toxic that works well too.   I will second the carb cleaner though, the pressurized blast is necessary to do certain parts like bearings.   It just makes life easier unless you want to spend an hour for each bearing ....     I don't lose sleep over the toxic issue, I just don't breathe it in, I'd rather turn purple than inhale nasty stuff.         

hah!  another bachelor that is working in his kitchen sink!!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

lyt

lol......   nah..... wife just really really loves me!   
If you keep doing what you've always done...
You'll keep getting what you've always got...

Steve SJW

I've use charcoal lighter fluid over the years for degreasing gears and bearings.

I tried simple green but it doesn't seem to work very well.

Ditto on washing hands with dawn to get the grease off.

I've never tried brake cleaner, but I am now!

bluefish69

I also use the kitchen sink that is in a Granite counter top.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Lunker Larry

I've been using Ardent Reel Cleaner and found it works great and it does not harm plastic or rubber. I first won some off a fishing prize table and really like it but it does have a strong odor. I have a fan on my work bench that I turn on when I use it, but you don't need much. I also have a parts soaking container that they make. For little things a shot of WD40 works for me along with your standard tools: q-tips and tooth brush.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Shark Hunter

I use whatever I have handy. Be it Brake cleaner, Acetone, Engine degreaser. I always wipe off what I can with paper towels to make the job easier. This is usually a 5 minute job I'll do in the driveway. When the temps are cold as they are now, The degreaser and brake cleaner don't seem to be as effective.
If I have some really nasty caked on or varnished grease, WD-40 with a toothbrush followed up with the brake cleaner works the best for me.
Life is Good!