Penn 209 Shark Slayer

Started by pompano joe, November 17, 2014, 11:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Quote from: pompano joe on November 18, 2014, 05:00:40 AM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 18, 2014, 12:32:03 AM
Awesome fish with an Awesome reel. Your reputation is well known in the gulf area Joe. I only make it there two or three times a year, but I have heard your name mentioned more than once. ;)

Thanks!  Huge compliment coming from you!  Let me know next time you're in my area...we'll fry some fish!
I will take you up on that Buddy! ;)
Life is Good!

Newell Nut

Nice work Joe and the really impressive thing to me is that the levelwind did not break. Good Luck to you catching more of those sharks.

Keta

Quote from: Newell Nut on November 19, 2014, 12:34:19 AM
....the really impressive thing to me is that the levelwind did not break. ....

They hold up better if the fish caught is not a high speed one like tuna.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tightlines667

Quote from: Keta on November 19, 2014, 01:32:43 AM

Also, if the fishermen... and his finger... are not one of the slow speed models ;)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 19, 2014, 01:50:58 AM

Also, if the fishermen... and his finger... are not one of the slow speed models ;)

They do hurt when they get a finger.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

fIsHsTiiCkS

Even though most stay away from a levelwind. If everything is well greased and the drag is smoooth then the levelwind rarely has any issues unless as Lee said it's a fish that makes crazy runs like a tuna.

steelfish

wow.. thats a really big shark for this small reel.

no wonder I have a friend that use 4 of them everytime he's on the water.

The Baja Guy

Newell Nut

They are tough little reels. We have a couple on the party boat with the level wind broken off and they work great.

Keta

My largest salmon was caught on a much smaller Mag 10 LW, 42#.  Not nearly in the same class as this shark.

Mark Twain

tristan

That's an amazing catch on that reel!

How's the gearing on the 309?   Any tougher than the 209?

long haired country boy

hey pompano joe, sometimes when you are not busy & have a minute, could you call me so as I can pick your mind. I am interested in building a 209 to "shark fish" with. 912-288-0743. Thanks.                    long haired country boy

foakes

Welcome, CB --

A 209 will land a shark, as you have seen -- but that is not typical, or the percentage bet for that reel.

The reel and main and pinion will handle a shark, if all of the factors fall in place -- however, the level line guide will be a weak link, IMO -- particularly if the line orientation from the lowest rod guide -- to the spool is at a angle compared to lining up straight -- due to the guide not in sync.  And the worm, pawl, worm gear, idler gear, and adjustment screws are all at risk.

If you are ready for this -- go for it -- and hope I am wrong.

Or remove the level line apparatus completely --

Or use a Long Beach, Senator, Jigmaster, etc. -- beefed up as you wish -- this would be my choice and consideration.

Any fish can be landed with any reel -- and it is a lot of fun -- but if looking for consistant results -- another reel may be a better choice.

Just my opinion...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

Fred's right,  but I just have to say there is no more fun than riding the edge of being over matched.

We were catching more rays than anything one day shark fishing in SF Bay.  The sharks weren't biting but the rays were on fire.

I tossed out a Penn Levelmatic with 12lb test and was down to the spool about three times before getting a 45lb ray to the boat. Yeehah that was fun. Let the drag and pole do the work. And that was with the old leather drags.

But boy that's a big shark....
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

thorhammer

I have to say, always thought a solid bar like is available for Abu to take out LW would be a great idea for 209 / 210.

rippin_lips

It's been my experience that sharks don't always require heavy gear. There is always that one pissed off shark that won't quit, but many are lazy. I have landed 3-4 foot bull sharks while trout fishing with a 6 foot spinning rod and 10 lb mono using a circle hook. That being said, you don't get to choose if a 5 foot or 15 foot shark takes your bait.