this is an inshore trip.

Started by alantani, November 19, 2014, 10:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

Quote from: Wally15 on March 19, 2015, 09:09:36 AM

What should be my next step in prepping for this Big Adventure? I've never fished for calico bass or WSB before.

Underhand casting, overhead casting, jigging, trolling, etc.?

There a lot of ways to get the job done, but no correct answer. Some gear/info I came across for fishing Cedros.

http://cedrosoutdooradventures.com/fishing-gear-2/

Casting: Sometimes you do not need to cast, just a gentle lob out and let the bait take over. I cast underhand when fishing small/weak baits, anchovies and small sardines, and do over head casts for stronger, more robust baits, sardines and mackerel.

Dropper loop and yo-yo jigging, just straight to the bottom.

The deck hands are there to help, they spend more time on the water than us, and they are an underutilized resource, ask them for help and they will be more than happy to help.

No expert here. -Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Aiala

Quote from: alantani on March 19, 2015, 04:08:47 PM
Yeah, well, try locking both in the garage for 3 hours and see who's happy to see you when you open the door.....   ;D

Boss, surely you did NOT try this experiment with Mrs. T??   :o

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Big Tim

Quote from: Wally15 on March 19, 2015, 09:09:36 AM
FWIW, my dog will miss me a lot more than the wife will. And probably the reverse is true. Must mean the honeymoon is over!
What should be my next step in prepping for this Big Adventure? I've never fished for calico bass or WSB before. Is there a UTube section on the type of fishing we'll be doing? Underhand casting, overhead casting, jigging, trolling, etc.? With this many people, the east coast and GoM charters/head boats mostly vertical drop. But most of their patrons don't have anywhere close to the experience level of this group. I plan on spending most of May on the GOM, and I might as well use the time to hone a particular skill so I won't embarrass myself too much in June.
Mike

Last year I actually got home a day early and the wife said "what are doing here a day early"  ;D ;D ;D The DOG ran and jumped with a double fist pump to the nether regions then ran down the hall to my wife. :o My son just laughed and fell off the couch...Honeymoon is definitely over.

Big Tim

alantani

Quote from: Aiala on March 19, 2015, 09:38:31 PM
Quote from: alantani on March 19, 2015, 04:08:47 PM
Yeah, well, try locking both in the garage for 3 hours and see who's happy to see you when you open the door.....   ;D

Boss, surely you did NOT try this experiment with Mrs. T??   :o

~A~

naw, we don't have a dog...... 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sundaytrucka

What size hooks were most used on last year's trip?

I know this trip is different, starting off as an inshore trip, and you never know what the bait situation may look like, but just want to know what was working last year.

Thanks.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

alantani

#1 for anchovies, 2/0 for sardines and 4/0 for mackeral. 

Porthos

If it turns out that the water conditions between SD and Cedros (perhaps even in just U.S. waters) end up holding pelagics in quality and quantity this mid-June, will a vote be held to switch to an OFFSHORE trip?

Aiala

Quote from: Porthos on April 23, 2015, 11:01:15 PM
If it turns out that the water conditions between SD and Cedros (perhaps even in just U.S. waters) end up holding pelagics in quality and quantity this mid-June, will a vote be held to switch to an OFFSHORE trip?

Gosh, I hope not. Those blankety-blank pelagics have a really irritating habit of disappearing and/or developing lockjaw the minute you get near them.  >:(

Besides, I like the bottom. Er, I mean, I like fishing the bottom... geesh.

~A~

Porthos

Quote from: Aiala on April 23, 2015, 11:26:43 PM...Besides, I like the bottom. Er, I mean, I like fishing the bottom... geesh.

~A~

You must have liked that one scene in "Big" before Elizabeth Perkins' character realized that Tom Hank's character was talking about bunk beds.

Aiala

Quote from: Porthos on April 23, 2015, 11:36:34 PM
You must have liked that one scene in "Big" before Elizabeth Perkins' character realized that Tom Hank's character was talking about bunk beds.

Yup... that was a great flick!  :D

~A~

stoked4fishin

I'm hearing the bait situation may be that sardines will be in very limited supply?  If so, will we be needing to make bait?  If so, which sabiki rigs are recommended?

alantani

i think it's a #4, but it's been a while.  i'm looking at a bunch right now and they say no. 4, but they are an off brand. 

Ron Jones

Although I'm not going with you all. I can comment on this question as I caught bait on the back of the boat while everyone else was sleeping. The jigs we used were equipped with #6 and #8 hooks. The 8s got more on the line at once but the 6s would hold a full string of mackerel.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

All I brought were the 3 and 4 bait large ones that usually work better, they didn't.  Bring at least 2 each of several sizes starting with #6 hooks.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

stoked4fishin