Newell Reels : The History of Newell Reels

Started by ez2cdave, November 21, 2014, 04:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpee

I still use the G440 that I bought In the 80's, fir Albacore. Put a Tiburon frame on it a few yrs ago. Scored a 338 m w/ a Sabre rod and a G220f for $ 120 today.i like Newell's a lot also.

FishNinJay

Quote from: russ1962 on August 27, 2016, 01:10:52 AM
I have several of the P220's G220's, P229's P322's, and P332's. And one S229.
My sons have learned to appreciate them too, and have borrowed some of them many times. I have also gifted them a few. :)

I started with the P220's, and still like the P series. But after getting a few of the G220's, I think I like the G220's just a little bit better.
What's your preference?  Blackie, P, G, NL, S ?

A New-ell fan?

Son landed his first-ever pelagic on a Newell this past weekend. The small lever drag Talica II on 30# wasn't getting the job done with the smallish less-than-frisky bait, so we dropped down to my P220F on 20# and that was the ticket. He landed 3 nice Yellowtail, and really liked the reel. I might try to get a custom rod for it, and maybe beef it up with a Tiburon frame and Bryan Young drag stack, for his 16th birthday coming soon.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

FishNinJay

Quote from: Crow on August 12, 2019, 09:38:05 PM
Looks like he's gettin' the job done !!

Yup. Have a short video clip, but it doesn't upload here.
Wondering if I should upgrade and gift the p220 or the G229?
Maybe more line capacity and frame/drag upgrades make G229F more versatile? 🤔

ez2cdave

Quote from: FishNinJay on August 12, 2019, 10:07:57 PM

Wondering if I should upgrade and gift the p220 or the G229?
Maybe more line capacity and frame/drag upgrades make G229F more versatile? 🤔

I always liked the 235 but then, of course I am a Penn 140 Squidder fan . . .

Tight Lines !

FishNinJay

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 30, 2015, 10:34:11 AM
That model (Newells Fastest Retrieve) caught a freezer full of king mackerel this winter for me.

The only big mistake that Carl Newell made in my opinion was the long cross bolt design that did not have enough nickel in the long cross bolts. If not properly maintained the original cross bolts will rust badly and break. If you have one this happens the best solution is a Tiburon frame. I have a few of those reels and never had a problem but I know to maintain them properly.

Are you referring here to the "S" series? For ex.. the S 332-5 ?
I'm debating getting one of these, to upgrade with a Tiburon frame for 40-50lb uses.
Thanks.