Custom Wood Tackle Boxes

Started by mmayo, November 24, 2014, 06:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmayo

I make custom tackle boxes and you can see the variety of woods, stains and designs below.  They are made by hand and require many long hours to complete.  It usually takes at least a week for the multi-coat spar varnish finish alone.  They are tough with all of the boxes you see below veterans of years of long range fishing experience.  Contact me to discuss having one built for you.  mlmayo2@verizon.net

Series 3700 = Roughly $1000 with stainless steel tube rocket launchers

El primero

Series 3600 = Roughly $950
with stainless steel tube or matching wood rocket launchers

Here are five of my boxes on the tackle rack of the Royal Star.

As you can see there has been an attempt to add variety to the boxes so each is a bit unique.  The most common wood species is African Magogany and it makes for a beautiful and very strong tackle box that is FUNCTIONAL on the water.

Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

BMITCH

Those are some super nice boxes. Works of art!
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

CapeFish

Really impressive! Thanks for sharing.

Bryan Young

Wow, beautiful...  Very nice work Mark.  Wow
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Wow, those are beautiful.  I'd almost be afraid to take them out on deck.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Aiala

Extraordinary craftsmanship! Question: What are the small greyish cylinders mounted on some of the sides?   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

alantani

beautiful workmanship.  thanks for posting these!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mmayo

Quote from: Aiala on November 24, 2014, 08:46:57 PM
Extraordinary craftsmanship! Question: What are the small greyish cylinders mounted on some of the sides?   :)

~A~
[/quot

The small gray cylinders are line pullers that prevent line cuts when tightening down on a knot. I hate line cuts and the possible infection of them on sports boats. I tie the knot and pull it tight with the puller. I can get the knot much tighter than by hand alone. They are golden when spectra is involved. I managed zero line cuts on my last 10 day trip on the Vagbond!

mmayo

Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 24, 2014, 07:59:03 PM
Wow, those are beautiful.  I'd almost be afraid to take them out on deck.

They easily survive and are designed to last forever. The first versions are almost ten yeare old and appear new.

Alto Mare

You do some beautiful work Mmayo. Thanks for showing those to us.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

doradoben

WOW, they are beautiful, Mark. Are the two eye bolts on the front of the boxes used to tighten a knot when tying on a hook?

Tiddlerbasher

Lovely work - Reel works of art ;)

mmayo

Quote from: doradoben on November 24, 2014, 09:51:24 PM
WOW, they are beautiful, Mark. Are the two eye bolts on the front of the boxes used to tighten a knot when tying on a hook?

Yes, I use them tyng each hook and pulling well past what the fish should pull. I find lots of others folks like them too. Great way to meet people.

Bryan Young

Is the 8th one down made from Koa wood?  I just love the craftsmanship.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D