Custom Wood Tackle Boxes

Started by mmayo, November 24, 2014, 06:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Yeah, you're right, Sal... 6 coats! 8)
Dom

Marcq

Very nice work  8)

Just wondering, how do you carry them? The camo size one has a handle on top but not the others

Thanks, Marc..

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on March 17, 2015, 06:59:21 PM
Mark,
    You're certainly a talented craftsmen... those boxes are art, but can't imagine using one on a boat, they're just too pretty!
Looks like you use all quality hardware as well.
Beautiful,
Dom
Quote from: Alto Mare on March 17, 2015, 08:02:23 PM
Yes, you do some beautiful work Mark.
Dom, I wouldn't be too concerned, that box has a nice shield for protection.
I agree with both of youze guys.  Beautiful stuff.  I bet waterproof but I would keep them out of the sun. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mmayo

Quote from: Marcq on March 19, 2015, 02:20:25 AM
Very nice work  8)

Just wondering, how do you carry them? The camo size one has a handle on top but not the others

Thanks, Marc..

The larger boxes have two handles on the sides. It supports the weight better than one on top. Think ice chest.
Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

mmayo

They survive the sun and salt very well. This box is box 2/18; it is close to ten years old. I use System Three gloss spar varnish which contains great levels of UV protection.  Since he is a friend I lightly sanded it this year with 400 grit sandpaper and reapplied two coats. He had just left the hospital after a valve replacement and double bypass, yikes. It seemed like a nice get well gift.

Reel 224

What are the dimensions of the boxes, and how much is the empty weight. Also I see there are spots for four rods, what do you have to keep them secure when the rods are in place, lets say in the back of a PU truck. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mmayo

Quote from: Reel 224 on March 19, 2015, 08:42:13 PM
What are the dimensions of the boxes, and how much is the empty weight. Also I see there are spots for four rods, what do you have to keep them secure when the rods are in place, lets say in the back of a PU truck.  

The rods are not really meant to "travel" in the rod tubes, the live there on the boat only. Ten inches of the rod butt is inserted into the tubes. The butt hits a piece of dowel in the bottom of the tube with a soft top to cushion the rod butt. I carefull tie down the box to prevent it from tipping in rough seas.  Notice the adjustable bungees holding down these boxes.

Custom Long Range Fishing Tackle Boxes
Handcrafted from a solid piece of African mahogany
(other fine hardwoods by request and will probably add to the price)
Stainless steel hardware - screws, bolts, eyes, hinges
Marine grade Perco hasps and latches
Hand - rubbed System III spar varnish finish (4 -6 coats)
Space for 4 - 3700 or 3600 size premium tackle trays (4 included)
Upper and lower storage space for pliers, cameras & odd shaped items
Anti - skid black liner covers top, lower storage areas and inside door
4 - stainless steel rocket launchers for rods/reels on series 7;
3 -stainless steel rocket launchers for rods/reels on series 6
Integrated side handles
2 - hook eyes - used to tie hooks tightly
2 - line pullers & holders - (these protect your hands from line cuts)
Series 7- H 17.5" x W 22" x D 11" Series 6- H 16" x W 12.6" x D 9"
new Series 7 Weighs about 18-20 pounds - Series 6 Weighs around 12 pounds
new Series 7 = $850 - Series 6 = $800

Reel 224

That is some superb work, and thank you for all the specifications. Ill be honest in telling you that they are a little out of my price range...but every bit the value with all of the workmanship and material that goes into them. Anyone could be more then proud to own one, I wish I were one myself.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mmayo

A new one for Jon Maita from New Jersey.

Rancanfish

I am in awe of your craftsmanship. One thing I don't do at all is work with wood.

I once bought 30' feet of trim to install on a fireplace mantle project, that required 9' feet.  I couldn't get the angles right,....over and over.  And it had to be perfect before I could stop.

Your finishes look nicer than the finish Martin guitar craftsman put on my Martin mahogany guitar, but of course they don't want a thick finish for sonic purposes.

I'm still confused on the small dowel on the side? Line puller you referred to?

And the hardware on one of the boxes looks like the latch on one of my Boston Whaler compartments.  You don't scrimp obviously.

Again, just beautiful.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

mmayo

The small dowel holds a line puller shown below.  These homemade devices have allowed me to fish a ten day trip without zero line line cuts!

I make them by using heat shrink tubing around PVC pipe.  Be sure to never wind line on top of other line to prevent damaging your line.  Note indentations that would have been line cuts in my fingers.  They win against spectra and allow very tight knots.

mmayo

This one was built for Rudy Scott. It has amazing color and grain structure.

Alto Mare

Mark, I could see you put a lot of heart into your work, beautiful job...as always.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 24, 2015, 02:04:19 AM
Mark, I could see you put a lot of heart into your work, beautiful job...as always.
Sal
Yep and a lot of heartwood.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

anglingarchitect

I may have to get one of these but it won't go in my boat, it's staying on my table.