Another crank design.

Started by trond_solem, December 05, 2014, 02:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trond_solem

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 06, 2014, 02:33:37 AM
Picking the right type of SS is just as important as the design.  Too soft, too thin, it will break.  Too hard it could snap.  Too thick It may not fit right.

Add one more variable, the corrosion resistance, and it is possible to fill two 5 gal. buckets with scrap. :-)

trond_solem

Quote from: Keta on December 06, 2014, 02:21:20 AM
Sal helped me improve the handle arms and I agree with what he posted.  Too long does not feel right, too much cut out and they flex, too soft and they bend, just right and they are nice.  I have a 5 gallon bucket with 8" of scrap SS from the handle arm R&D, about $300 out of pocket.

Exactly! That's why I make this prototypes. More work, but cheaper than having a company cut them.
The strength issue is also why I am trying different cutouts. The version with holes won't flex or bed before more serious things happen inside the reel. At that point, you are abusng the reel anyway. After all, it is a fishing reel and not a high performance winch. :-) I do understand that during the heat of the battle, the drag will be tightened up and a lot of force applied to the crank, but still, it is a reel.

trond_solem

Today I spent a few hours out on the water testing my prototype crank arms.
That is, I tested the small gear seelve version for the 98-10 and 98-155 type gear sleeves on a 112h and a 49 reel.
From what I can find, the length is perfect. At least in my mind.  Cranking was easy and didn't require either much force or unduly large movements with the hand when cranking.
Getting a medium sized cod up from 110 meters down was quick and easy. Much less of a strain on my right hand than with the original crank.
Sadly I didn''t get any big ones today, but from what I found, this cranks will make the reel a lot easier to fish.

One of my other designs of the same length is being cut at the lasercutters this week so I will have cranks with the correct thickness and better looks in a couple of weeks.
Next item on the list is getting custom knobs to use with the cranks.

alantani

i will try to get the parts out today.  the day is already more than half gone and i haven't gotten a thing done.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

trond_solem

Quote from: alantani on December 13, 2014, 11:33:06 PM
i will try to get the parts out today.  the day is already more than half gone and i haven't gotten a thing done.   :-\

I have had many of those days lately. :-)
Suddenly the day is gone and nothing done.
Other days are filled with work and I can (almost) catch up.

alantani

dinnertime and i'm still slugging through bills.  i just found out that my daughter never installed the anti-virus software for her mac.  we got that done and we found no problem.  you know the funny thing?  she's mad at ME right now...... 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

trond_solem

In the meanwhile I have been playing with some CAD software to visualize the crank arm and grip.

Makule

Lee, I hope you have not thrown the handle arms I asked you to design/cut for me.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

trond_solem

trond_solem

Cranks fresh from the lasercutters.
Some polishing to do before they are ready to be mounted on the reels.

cell phone images. Not the best images, but that is what I have today.

trond_solem

The larger crank mounted on a Senator 114H.
The crank is designed for the 113H, but I enlarged the mounting hole to make it fit.
I can spot one error. The hole for the locking screw is incorrectly placed.
That will be fixed on next run.

jaypeegee

Hi

Very nice work.

Out of curiosity, Why the swept/curved shape? Is this for looks or does it have a mechanical reason?
Also, would there be any merit in having these water cut rather than laser cut

Either way, That is a very nice looking arm.

trond_solem

Quote from: jaypeegee on December 31, 2014, 03:14:49 AM
Hi

Very nice work.

Out of curiosity, Why the swept/curved shape? Is this for looks or does it have a mechanical reason?
Also, would there be any merit in having these water cut rather than laser cut

Either way, That is a very nice looking arm.

With the steel quality I have chosen, the swept look is just for looks. The two part cutout is chosen over a single long cutout is chosen for strenght. The small piece og steel between the cutouts does miracles for strength.

Water cutting them may give a more smooth cut, but then there is the problem with the cut not being absolutely 90 degrees to the top surface all the way through the metal. Laser is better on that part.
If this is going to be any kind of success, I have to keep the cost down. The market on this side of the atlantic isn't very big, so cutting many of them isn't an option either.

Anyway, thanks.
Trond.

Besides that, I haven't found any company that will water cut them for a reasonable cost yet.