Delrin

Started by fIsHsTiiCkS, December 05, 2014, 08:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Newell Nut on December 12, 2014, 08:25:10 PM
http://www.gaskettools.com/punches-mayhew.asp

This tool cuts perfectly for me for both CFs and delrin. I use the 16 piece model and the metric version gets me the closest to what I use in my Newell's with minimum sanding of CFs. When I punch my Delrin out a 22mm OD and 10mm ID in one rap of the hammer I need to hit the ID just a few strokes with a round file to slip over the gear sleeve easily.

Those are some very sold hollow punches! Thanks for the link! I have been wondering what everyone was using! I will look into and definitely learn from Sal's experience and pay more now to spend less later  :P

CooldadE

I found these,  the pilot looks cool. Punch the outside first then use pilot hole to punch inside hole.

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Tightlines667

Quote from: CooldadE on December 14, 2014, 12:19:23 AM
I found these,  the pilot looks cool. Punch the outside first then use pilot hole to punch inside hole.

I have the same set (so does Daron I think?).  They work, but do need to be sharpened reguarily.  I'd get a better quality set (like Lee has), if I was going to buy new ones.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Lalo13

SOOOOoooooo , you guys are using delrin washers instead of the Cf ones ?? Forgive the ignorance please ??

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

CoolDad,
I have that same set. They are cheap, but work well. You have to sharpen them every few punches, but they get the job done.
Nowhere near the caliber that Dwight uses, but they already paid for themselves.
I punched out probably 10 sets for 12/0's CF in .120 thickness, but I had to hit them with a diamond bit every three or four hits to keep them cutting.
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Lalo13 on December 16, 2014, 12:51:24 AM
SOOOOoooooo , you guys are using delrin washers instead of the Cf ones ?? Forgive the ignorance please ??

Still.using cf in the stack. Just trying delrin under the main gear and on top of the stack. Just to really smooth out the drag

Lalo13

GENIAL  !! Sounds like a simple mod that actually works . Thanks for your time gentlemen .. ;D

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 16, 2014, 01:59:00 AM
CoolDad,
I have that same set. They are cheap, but work well. You have to sharpen them every few punches, but they get the job done.
Nowhere near the caliber that Dwight uses, but they already paid for themselves.
I punched out probably 10 sets for 12/0's CF in .120 thickness, but I had to hit them with a diamond bit every three or four hits to keep them cutting.
Daron what were you hammering on?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

A Log. I found I could do the ID faster with the lower punch instead of switching the cutter.

Life is Good!

Newell Nut

I have cut a couple hundred CFs and Delrin without sharpening anything. One thing that helps me I think is that I use a piece of 2"x8"x8" softer delrin block that a construction friend gave me a while back. I rap the cutter with a short handled 4lb hammer one time for every cut and it works great. The pounding block is holding up great too and does not dull my cutter at all. You may be able to find a piece of it online somewhere.

The .020" delrin arrived so I got the tools to cut a few. I am putting the .020 on the gear sleeve sprocket and a .5mm CF between that and the gear. Got it all put together on a 533-5 and really feels smooth and strong. I also put a .020 under the Belleville.

fIsHsTiiCkS

I ordered up those punches Newell Nut! Awesome to know how well they are holding up! Now if i can just find a delrin block  ;)

bluefish69

I used to use a end grain of a 4X4 about a ft. long. I never dulled a punch this way.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Keta

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on December 18, 2014, 04:21:53 AM
Now if i can just find a delrin block  ;)

UHMW works well too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

I stole a cutting board from the kitchen a year ago, it isn't Delrin, but its doing a great job. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.