stainless Steel Gear sleeve and Carbonex drag washers for 113H

Started by dwight, October 19, 2010, 03:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Tidetime,
    Usable drag 17 lbs (without the stainless gear sleeve) maybe 22 lbs (with the stainless gear sleeve)... with my limited experience.  If this is the 114h with posts only I would say about 3 or so lbs less than previous stated numbers.  If you have the more modern version with the half frame I'd say the numbers above are more accurate.  Now if you put a Tiburon frame on (like I have done to all of my 114h's) you can increase those numbers a bit.  I usually don't go over 15 lbs. unless I'm testing gear out... I have gotten  28 lbs. in lockdown before, but I quit while I was ahead  ;)
Dom

Dominick

Dom:  I have a 114HLW loaded with 80 lb mono.  It has a full aluminum frame.  I have caught several striped Marlin with that reel.  It functions perfectly for fishing in Baja.  That's because Marlin have a tendency to sun themselves on the surface.  The 114 is usually set up with a hooked Cabalito or Mullet which is live and swimming in the bait tank.  When a Marlin is spotted the 114 will allow for a cast of the live fish to the Marlin.  I have the spool bearings open and lubricated with Corrision-x in order to be able to cast with it.  I have used it with 25lbs of drag.  Am I courting disaster with that heavy a  drag?  If that is too heavy a drag, what would you do?  Dom
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Hi all,
I've just finished rebuilding my 113H (red) and I have a small, but perplexing issue to resolve.
I had play in the spool as it could move to the left (maybe 1/8th of an inch or less), even with the left-side bearing wound fully down.
(Given the thread wear, it appears to have spent much of its life fully locked down.)
I dismantled both bearings and reassembled, with a couple of tiny brass washers under the left-side bearing.
This seems to have worked but, if I tip the reel to the right, I get a light rattle as it free-spools.
The problem disappears when I push the right-side bearing housing in a fraction.
My next step is to place a small brass washer under the right-side bearing, too, but I'd prefer a better solution if there is one.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Maybe, but you might have to shim the right side spool bearing. Do a little test, back up the two upper bridge screws about a quarter turn, the ones closer to the rings,  don't use a powered screwdriver. See if that does anything. If that helps, you need to shave the screws a tiny bit, you could stroke them on a flat file. It could be something else entirely. You might need to replace the bearings. Good luck!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Sometimes  filing down the tip of the jack right above the notch that  slides in the eccentric also helps, but lets do one thing at a time.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.