Daiwa Saltist-BG 35H Surprise! Surprise!

Started by Ellis Feibush, October 12, 2010, 10:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellis Feibush

Just picked up one of Daiwa's new Black and Gold series conventional reels, the Saltist - BG 35H. This is the smaller spool capacity of the two reels. Just opened it up and to my surprise found three thick HT-100 or Carbontex type drag washers. What a surprize! Since it's a 6.4 :1 gear ratio I expected a large main bearing. There was absolutely no grease on the pinion or main bearing. That's one of the reasons you have to open up these new reels. The drag washers are large, as expected: 35mm OD x 9mm ID. NIce to see these types of drag washers in new reels. It also has two anti reverse mechanisims  (standard anti reverse pawl and anti reverse bearing) as do a lot of the new reels of this type, and seems to be made for easy serviceing. Now to break it in, if only I could catch that big Striper...

broadway

Hey Ellis,

Sounds like a sweet reel.  As a fellow striper fisherman (out of Brooklyn) I was wondering what you need the 6:1 ratio for, jigging?  Where do you fish out of?  I went out yesterday tolling umbrellas (wirelining) only to catch 4 stripers 20"- 28" and 4 gorilla blues.  I'm headed out in the A.M. for some more, hopefully much larger stripers.  I haven't seen the sand eels in abundance yet and the bonito and albacore (false) are still in the area...water is still too warm out there :-\  Hope you nail' em with that new speedster.  TIGHT LINES!
Dom

alantani

to their credit, daiwa has started changing over.  someone in the organization had some pull. 

we are winning.........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ellis Feibush

Hi Dom-
     Haven't seen any big Sltripers yet but I think they're due. There's still alot of Blues out there. One of the things about Blues is that, as you probably know,  they like very fast moving lures, especially any kind of metal. A reel with a 6.4:1 gear ratio makes that happen in a hurry without breaking your wrist. Kind of like having a car with a big V8 hemi engine; you can drive it slowly when that's appropriate or realy clomp down on that accelerator when you need to. The power is there in case you need it. Dom, someone is making mackeral colored Ava 47 jigs. Have been using them this summer and they are absolutely deadly with Stripers and especially Blues. They also come with different colored tubed hooks, but these things are so deadly Div. of Fish and Game will probably outlaw them. They are unreal if you like casting metal to Blues with light casting gear, 15lb. baitcasters or light spinning rods. Can send you one if you want.

broadway

Hey Ellis,

I went out on Wednesday- bagged 19 blues up to 10 lbs and 7 stripers between 5 and 10 lbs, and 1 slob striper at 31 lbs.  I trolled -em all up on my custom made umbrella rigs with some custom dyed tubes.  I haven't seen the mackerel ava type jigs, but if they work I'll check 'em out.  I don't do too much casting... I'm more of a troller/live bait fisherman.  I just got me some big ole' eels for a trip I have planned next monday or tuesday (depends on weather).  I do best with eels from now till mid November when I put the boat in hibernation.  Do you troll wire or use umbrellas... I could send ya some of my custom tubes.  Where do you boat out of? Thanks
Dom

Ellis Feibush

Hi Dom,
     Sounds like you had a great day out there. I don't wire line for bass any more. Quit that many years ago. Became addicted to light tackle stand up casting and jigging for everything. At this time in the game for me, it's the quality of fun catching each fish, rather than being hi hook. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not a snob. I guess I want the maximum amount of fun out of each fish  on light tackle and then try to release it. Years ago it was about catching large quantities of fish, but been there, done that and don't want to go back. I guess if I could catch a mackeral with a plastic straw I'd be happy! But, wire lining is ok when you troll those huge bunker spoons and watch them dig in in back of your boat. They certainly catch large Bass. Good luck and tight lines!