Narrow Reels

Started by sharkman, December 11, 2014, 04:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsrmn

I went back to the posting and took a closer look myself. It definitely says Penn No.49. The seller must have confused the 9 with an O. Kind of like the 5/0 that was posted a few months ago or the 114-N before that ::)
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Alto Mare

Quote from: BMITCH on December 12, 2014, 11:49:30 AM
I like the narrows also. Here's my line-up.

From left to right...114htn triple dogged with all the SS currently available. 112htn double alternating dogs with all the available SS parts. Newell G454-F narrow( how'd that get in there? ::) ) and a 506 Tib'ed out with double alternating dogs and SS bling. All were used this season except for the Newell. Next year!
Very nice Bob, I didn't know you also had the 112HN. I like those knobs, but they did drive me a little crazy though, the top part kept unscrewing itself. Nothing that a drop of blue loctite couldn't fix ;)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CaptainRMF

Hey Sharkman, you can't go wrong with narrows. That's all I grew up with using thanks to my Dad. Here's a few of mine. From left to right 1#149 DeepSea, 3#49 DeepSea's, 1#49 MasterMariner, 1#349 MasterMariner Black, 1#349H MasterMariner Red. I also have 2 more 349H's on my trolling polls set up with wire. I like them because I have short fingers and they are easier to thumb the line for me.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

BMITCH

Capt.RMF nice collection. I like the narrows because it's just easier to lay line back on the spool. I'm just lazy ;)

Sal, I agree. They do come apart with the top unscrewing. Usually at a very bad time. Had that happen on a fish once. What I did was use two part epoxy. When I need to separate the top from the bottom I just apply a little heat from a lighter and it frees up the epoxy. They were relatively cheap knobs and I like them best for jigging. The 112hn was the one we talked about in a much earlier thread. This is the one we wished that the tiburon kit matched the color of the penn side plates better. I still wish that. Anyway, it's an awesome jigging reel
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Quote from: CaptainRMF on December 12, 2014, 01:27:18 PM
Hey Sharkman, you can't go wrong with narrows. That's all I grew up with using thanks to my Dad. Here's a few of mine. From left to right 1#149 DeepSea, 3#49 DeepSea's, 1#49 MasterMariner, 1#349 MasterMariner Black, 1#349H MasterMariner Red. I also have 2 more 349H's on my trolling polls set up with wire. I like them because I have short fingers and they are easier to thumb the line for me.
Nice Captain! As you probably know, I really like my Penn's, you got to admit though, those darn things are heavy ;D. With that said, they will never let you down ;).
Quote from: BMITCH on December 12, 2014, 01:43:10 PM
Capt.RMF nice collection. I like the narrows because it's just easier to lay line back on the spool. I'm just lazy ;)

Sal, I agree. They do come apart with the top unscrewing. Usually at a very bad time. Had that happen on a fish once. What I did was use two part epoxy. When I need to separate the top from the bottom I just apply a little heat from a lighter and it frees up the epoxy. They were relatively cheap knobs and I like them best for jigging. The 112hn was the one we talked about in a much earlier thread. This is the one we wished that the tiburon kit matched the color of the penn side plates better. I still wish that. Anyway, it's an awesome jigging reel
Bob, how at heck am I supposed to remember about that 112HN, when we have so much going on here ;D. Yes I do remember now. Thanks for refreshing my memory. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 12, 2014, 05:23:19 AM

Good job investigating George, I would have never thought a seller would have called a 49 a 4/0.

I once saw an ebay seller listing a 349 Wahoo Special as a Senator. I questioned him and he corrected it. Many sellers don't do their homework, and unless you are aware of what you're actually bidding on, buyer beware.

BTW I really love the narrow Long Beach 66 in Penn Chronology's collection.

Correction: that is a narrowed Long Beach 60.
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Some of my friends that aren't members here also like narrows, A few used my 25 on my boat and really liked it, so here I am building some for them ::)

You could use any of the smaller reels, here I'm doing the 155- 160-180 and 25

this 25 is my personal reel and I really enjoy using it

for some that are clumsy casting as I am ;D, I'll add these magnets

I'm not sure I will get rid of this 180 with the lighthouse, you probably can't see it, but it is gorgeous.My buddy might need to wait a little longer ;D

Sal

Keta

I love the old side plates and have a 2 unused ones for Surfmasters.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

You already know how many 100's I have ;D. The left plate on the Surfmasters is definitely one of my favorite. These all have the smaller gears (5-155), but don't underestimate them, they'll do just fine. This is a nice 10lbs reel.

sharkman

Here is a factory narrow not mentioned much. Penn 130. It's not strong but had to buy because in very good condition.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 13, 2014, 02:43:51 PM
You already know how many 100's I have ;D. The left plate on the Surfmasters is definitely one of my favorite. These all have the smaller gears (5-155), but don't underestimate them, they'll do just fine. This is a nice 10lbs reel.

Can't ask for a better reel for shallow rock fish, 20'-100'.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I don't see why anyone would buy a little Avet when you can build a little narrow Penn for much less that is a much more enjoyable reel. I love my 180s and I'll never forget catching a yellowtail with a little monofil. Love them, love them, love them.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

George4741

DaBigOno, your reel stand looks different.  Did you drill holes and add a rod clamp to a 30-65 stand?

Quote from: DaBigOno on December 12, 2014, 12:22:53 AM
I like the narrow look also...

viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

That looks so cool, I've never seen one like that.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 23, 2014, 07:23:46 PM
That looks so cool, I've never seen one like that.

I agree Sal, that is a unique little beauty, and likely functions better than it looks. I'll take 10 please !!!

BTW Sal, I like those old engraved 180's also. Good call leaving that one as is and grabbing him a different one for $20. He won't have to wait long.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!