Penn 2/0 frame

Started by fIsHsTiiCkS, December 22, 2014, 05:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefish69

That looks really nice. I might have to buy a LB 60

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

trond_solem

LB 60 reel in custom frame ready to go fishing.

Unutt

I am wondering if you could start with a thick wall aluminum extrusion (like a pipe or tube) and cut the half frame out of it.  I am sure it would need to be heat treated before cutting, but it would reduce a huge part of the machining required.  Using the rings makes it a much simpler process.  Heat treat would be required to make sure it does not change shape while it is machined.

Making a die to cast that would be cost prohibitive.  Just the design work on the die would shock us, I am sure.  The die itself would be close to $50K.

So many reels, so little time.

trond_solem

Quote from: Unutt on January 24, 2015, 02:40:18 PM
I am wondering if you could start with a thick wall aluminum extrusion (like a pipe or tube) and cut the half frame out of it.  I am sure it would need to be heat treated before cutting, but it would reduce a huge part of the machining required.  Using the rings makes it a much simpler process.  Heat treat would be required to make sure it does not change shape while it is machined.

Making a die to cast that would be cost prohibitive.  Just the design work on the die would shock us, I am sure.  The die itself would be close to $50K.

The frame "half" is a bit more than half a pipe. Anyway starting with a suitable pipe will reduce machining cost. Just turn down to correct diameter. turn the inside of the frame.  machine foot cutout with holes and threads. mount the piece on a jig that fits the foot cutout. mill the sides. drill holes and press the threads. cut off the top. mill the cutouts, mill the fillets, mill the logo. brush finish and anodize.

If the frame was a bit less than half pipe, it would be possible to make them in pairs.

They are flushing he piece with coolant during machining, so heat buildup is negliable. Not all aluminium is heat treatable either.
Some alloys are work hardened. Anyway, the selection of alloy is based on corrosion resistance and machineabillity. Choosing the best alloy for corrosion resistance may result in problems cutting the part and the other way around.

I am looking into the possibillity of having a second set of screw hols to make it possible to mount the senator 2/0 in the same frame.
It may be possible, but will increase production cost.

Alto Mare

Someone else was trying to do the same and Tom ( Cortez_Conversions ) advised him not to. He had a very good explanation, but i can't find it. You're free to do as you please, but I'll take Tom's advise very seriously.

Sal

Found one of Tom's answer, but i know there is more:
Remember, that tubing has crazy stress in it from the extruding process.
Don't count on concentricity, either.
When you cut only the OD or ID it's going to warp/oblong.
You're gonna need to skin BOTH ID and OD, and come back with finish cuts to make the diameters round.
PM me if you have any questions!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.