Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

Quotewhile looking through my boxes of spare parts to make this reel useable I came across a Long Beach side plate with no number .

That no number plate you have is actually a Penn plate. Penn must have had at least one mold plug that left the Model number blank. I believe they sold those no number side plates for spares. I have one also. Mine was on a Penn 68.

broadway

Neat little tid bit of info, Mike... nice find, Matt!
Dom

trond_solem

My Long beach 60. Got this one from Islandgypsy. Thanks. Measurements done. Half frame 3D model sent to several CNC shops.

Custom crank from AT. Knob is from an old corroded #49 handle.
New drags, 60lbs braid.

Penn Chronology

trond_solem

Quote from: Penn Chronology on February 09, 2015, 11:47:19 PM
That reel is ready to crank.

Yes, it's a nice little reel. Since there are so many of them out amongst people, I am trying to get a aluminium half frame cut for it. The design is ready and the 3d model sent out for price quote.
This is what it may look like when finished.
Typo in filename. :-) There is no Long Beach 80.

Penn Chronology

Very Interesting. It is like a Tiburon frame, except Tiburon does not make one for a Long Beach. This could be a hot product. There are thousands of Long Beach 60's out there.

trond_solem

Quote from: Penn Chronology on February 09, 2015, 11:55:57 PM
Very Interesting. It is like a Tiburon frame, except Tiburon does not make one for a Long Beach. This could be a hot product. There are thousands of Long Beach 60's out there.

It's a bit more refined than the Tib frames. They look a bit more square. I have tried to use more rounded forms to make it better looking.
All screw holes ends up blind. None of the side plate screws will protrude on the inside of the frame and no open holes.
It may end up a bit more expensive to make, but I am not going to earn big money on this anyway. I am first of all inerested in getting it done without loosing money. If I earn enough to make a prototype run for my 113H / HLW frame it will be great.

Maxed Out

That's very nice Trond, I hope it works out and you can get them whipped out at an affordable price. Like Mike said, tons of them still in service.

Now, I know you live on Vega island and you are proud to name your creation after your home land. God bless you for that....only thing is back here in the USA a "Vega" was a famously crap junk vehicle that Chevrolet made back about 45 years ago and the name Vega will forever be associated with lesser quality.....Have you considered a different name ?? Not that Vega won't work, but it would be 1,000 times better and would likely sell more if you named it...say ....corvette....or mazerati. Nothing wrong with Vega, just wanted you to know what a Vega is to most USA residents. ;)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Aiala

Quote from: Max Doubt on February 10, 2015, 01:40:02 AM
Have you considered a different name??

Hmm... "Pinto"? "Citation"? "Aztek"?  ;D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

trond_solem

Quote from: Max Doubt on February 10, 2015, 01:40:02 AM
   That's very nice Trond, I hope it works out and you can get them whipped out at an affordable price. Like Mike said, tons of them still in service.

Now, I know you live on Vega island and you are proud to name your creation after your home land. God bless you for that....only thing is back here in the USA a "Vega" was a famously crap junk vehicle that Chevrolet made back about 45 years ago and the name Vega will forever be associated with lesser quality.....Have you considered a different name ?? Not that Vega won't work, but it would be 1,000 times better and would likely sell more if you named it...say ....corvette....or mazerati. Nothing wrong with Vega, just wanted you to know what a Vega is to most USA residents. ;)

I know,but this isn't a car.

foakes

Vega is not that bad of a name, IMO.

I look forward to actually having one in my hands -- to try it out -- I have quite a few 60s all serviced and ready to go -- 12 or 14.  This would make a nice addition if the pricing is reasonable, and production is possible.

If these were made in anodized ice blue -- they would look good, as well as have a Blue Ice heritage, since they come from way up North in the cold Scandinavian reaches.

And, some of you may recognize that VEGA also refers to the brightest blue star visible in the Northern hemisphere.

This star is only 25 light years from Earth, is suspected to have planets orbiting it, along with a "Goldilocks" planet -- just at the right distance to possibly harbor life.

Vega was actually the "North Star" (Polaris is now the North Star for you navigators) about 3000 years ago -- and will be the North Star in another 12,000 years -- due to the slight shift over time in the Earth's axis.  Just like spinning a toy top, and watching it start to wobble a bit.

But I don't care about all of that -- got a bunch of LB 60s that could use some solid frames -- whatever their name is.  😃😃😃😃😃

Good luck on moving your project from concept to reality, Trond.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

Ha, Fred, you beat me to the punch...................<:O)

QuoteI know,but this isn't a car.

You are correct. Here is the true definition of Vega!

Vega (α Lyr, α Lyrae, Alpha Lyrae) is the brightest star in the constellation Lyra, the fifth brightest star in the night sky and the second brightest star in the northern celestial hemisphere, after Arcturus.

Shark Hunter

Hey,
The Vega wasn't that bad once you shoe horned a 327 under the hood! Remember the one from mad max?
Life is Good!

TomT

Probably an age thing, but I remember that you could go into any auto junkyard and find intact Vegas that were there only because no one could keep the engine running. ;D ;D
TomT

George4741

As I mentioned in a previous post, My well-used Seagate (a Penn 60 by another name) excluding the -85 bridge, appears to have all original parts.  One of our wonderful members (thank you, John) sent me an old unmarked -60 bridge and a set of very nice Seagate sideplates.  I installed his bridge in my first reel, returning it to all original/vintage condition, patina and all.  Then I bought new parts to assemble another reel with the gifted sideplates.  I'm happy with the result:      
Long live the Long Beach!
Regards,
George
viurem lliures o morirem