Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

What you can't tell from the photo above is that the handle knob has a swirl pattern. Here's another close-up view
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Tightlines667

Sid,
Great bunch of reels you inheireted there.  That is a cool looking semitransparent/amber swirl handle knob.  It is actually the counterweights that changed in a more predictable manner then the knobs.  Generally speaking, the large coin-edged indicates prewar, the large smooth slug style was next, then the large triple stack pancake (2 different versions 3 stacks of same size, and 2 of same size with a smaller one on top).  Your reel has an externally accessible drag, with deep steel gear, leather drag washers, nonnumbered parts, hershey kiss style clicker butgon, pictured tailplate, model logo with "pat'd" and model number, square edged side plates, 3-piece chromed bronze spool with non drilled arbor (mushroom head pin present), and no line yardage indicated on the reel foot.  These traits all point to 1947-1949 production era.  The handle counterweight suggests 1948/49 (I think?) though bear in mind handles are commonly changed by the owners.  Did he buy this reel new (i.e. 1 owner reel), and if so.. is there any chance you could locate the origional box?  It should look much like the one on the right in the photos I posted earlier in the thread.

Thanks for sharing!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sdlehr

I have more pics, but they don't tell much more about the reel. So, I'm curious if the handle knob color can narrow down the year of production more accurately than pre-1950.... other questions come to mind.... To keep the reel period-correct, I have left the drag washers in place that I found in the reel (it was actually missing one; it has an upgraded 5-stack). This is the oldest reel that I own, and the only one for which "period-correct" is significant. I don't know if putting in HT-100 drag discs will make a difference; I'm going to retire the reel and keep it on the shelf, so I guess it won't matter?Huh? I don't know..... I closed it up with grease only on the eccentric and in the screw holes; if it spends the rest of its life on a shelf I don't think it will matter. Is that correct?
Sid Lehr

sdlehr

Thanks, John. You are John, right? I'm trying to learn names... it's not so easy.... Unfortunately I don't know for sure if my dad was the original owner, but I think probably not.... I have no box or any other documentation. He didn't buy his boat until the early 80's, but we had reels before that; I may have actually used this reel as I kid; I have no idea. We actually surf-fished with two of the reels I mentioned previously, and I think this might have been one of them. It was a long, long time ago - 50 years or so. I can't remember what I did yesterday.
Sid Lehr

Tightlines667

Sid,
Yes my name is John....
and I have a fishing reel problem :)

If you plan on keeping the reel on a shelf, just break it down, gently clean it up (as you have done), and lightly coat the metal parts with Corrosion X or some other low volitile oil with Corrosion protection properties.  Leather drag washers can be gently oiled, you can put some light marine grease on the gears themselves if you like, but the oil will protect them fine for a shelf queen.  You can use some plastic cleaning/protection product (like mothers back-to-black) on the sideplates if you like, and some chrome or general polish on the rest (like Simichrome, Never dull or the like), to lightly polish the visable stuff.  

I would recommend purchasing Mike's 2 books if you want to learn more about the early history of Penn, and ORCA offers a great reel restoration guide if your interested in learning more about restoring old, collectable reels.

BTW, according to Mike's book your reel is worth between $40-$80, depending on condition without the box, catalog, wrench, and lube.

To post pictures directly into the thread, you need to simply upload them to a photo sharing site (such as Photobucket), then copy and past the link address into the post.  There are more complete instructions available elsewhere on this forum.
Hope springs eternal

sdlehr

Interestingly, the pinion gear doesn't have the round reinforcing ring on the spool side - I suspect this was a weakness in the reel that would have been one of the first things to fail under a heavy load.... I think that's something I might have learned here.... and I thank you all for that... so if I put in the proper amount of drag washers (HT-100) will it (technically) devalue the reel?
Sid Lehr

sdlehr

Thanks again, John. I have both of Mike's books, but am only starting to read the second (green cover). These books have so many fine details that I've been highlighting sections of the second book and when I'm done I'll go back through the first and highlight the appropriate passages for myself. Even then I have little hope of gaining a command of the material as you and Mike C. have. I am developing a real reel problem. Well, I don't see it as a problem at all, but don't talk to my wife about this. To her, it's a problem. I'm spending too much time on this site and Ebay, according to her. But I'm having great fun, and she just doesn't (and never will) understand. I guess it's a guy thing. If you don't have a Y chromosome it's best to stay clear....
Sid Lehr

Tightlines667

This ring was used on smaller pinion gears and added to reels with much later production dates (not sure when the first one appeared.. maybe early-mid 1960s on the Jigmaster?).  It's absence on your reel model is not very telling.  Though you are right, it does add strength to the pinion, it also helps the small gear to seat fully against the flange in the reel spool shaft base.  Technically, collectors are looking for reels with all period correct and origional parts, adding modern drag discs therfore would detract from its value to a collector.  However, your reel model is somewhat common (at least for this production period).  That spool was not designed to be fished with modern mono line, and may spread and warp if fished with it.  If you are not planning on fishing it, I would leave the origional parts in place.  Since it is not a particularly scarce model, you could upgrade the spool, drag stack, undergear washer.. keep the origional and fish it without too much worry either.
Hope springs eternal

sdlehr

John, I've already used Nevr-dull on the chrome, and I pulled the Armor-All out of the garage and applied it to the side plates... and they do look better than they did. Now to find a box, manual and grease tube for this reel... and why? Because I can! Maybe!
Sid Lehr

sdlehr

OK, another question has popped up. I already mentioned that there is a missing drag washer... two of the washers kind of disintegrated when I was pulling the reel apart... I replaced them... it was like putting a jig-saw puzzle together.... but the reel has been retired.... so would it be better to leave the pieced-together drag washers in place and leave it short one drag washer? It's already been modified from the original 3-stack to a 5-stack... I'm wondering if I shouldn't revert it back to a 3-stack since it's being retired to a shelf reel? But then I would need to find the thicker original drag washers... It doesn't seem that this should be a major problem... but it's the oldest reel I own, and as I said, it once belonged to my dad, so it holds a special place in my heart. Time to go to bed. I'll not lose any sleep over this.
Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

I suspect you guys have found the heart of this old Long Beach 66. It is a late 1940's reel. Without documents, I do not believe you can pinpoint it much closer than the late 1940's. My way of doing a shelfie like this is to bring it back to as original as possible and just oil the innards. Stay with the original 3 stack drag and leather washers. That will keep it smooth running. Always best to stick with original engineering if you are not looking to build a tank. HT 100's and additional washers just add to complications in a reel like this. If you are going to fish it, then you do what is necessary, otherwise, restore it to how Otto built it................. ; :)

sdlehr

Thanks, Mike. Makes good sense.
Sid Lehr

Maxed Out

Back in the day if you mentioned leopard skin to your penn rep, he may just show up with one !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

sdlehr

Wow, Ted. That really looks unique! I kinda like it.
Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

QuoteBack in the day if you mentioned leopard skin to your penn rep, he may just show up with one !!

Ted,

You don't see those everyday. Great find!