Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Picked up these side plates on EBay for a song - I like the art on these left side plates - steel main (but not the deep gear) and pinion gears, no parts are numbered. Now to find the foot, side rings, posts and handle, to make it period-correct and it'll have a place on the shelf with the other Long Beaches. I want to assemble a set of 60, 65, 66, 67 and 68. Already have the last two. No boxes or anything for any of them.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

NICE, Sid!!!!! I'm doing a pair of 65's next week I received as barter for Jiggy service.

sdlehr

Quote from: thorhammer on January 07, 2016, 09:10:38 PM
NICE, Sid!!!!! I'm doing a pair of 65's next week I received as barter for Jiggy service.
You know who to contact if you find any older parts you want to part with... :)
Sid Lehr

Maxed Out

Quote from: sdlehr on January 07, 2016, 09:15:26 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on January 07, 2016, 09:10:38 PM
You know who to contact if you find any older parts you want to part with... :)

Sid, all but the trim rings can be found on a Delmar for your LB 60. Period correct takes patience to find. The 2 toughest components are spool and seat IMO. Finding a non numbered spool in great condition is like hens teeth, but vigilance can pay off. Period correct seat would have no part number or a stamped yardage of 250.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

sdlehr

Quote from: Max Doubt on January 08, 2016, 12:41:38 AM
Sid, all but the trim rings can be found on a Delmar for your LB 60. Period correct seat would have no part number or a stamped yardage of 250.
Thanks, Ted. That's really, really useful information. I have some 85 posts already, but no spool, so I didn't know they would be the right length! Spool, foot, handle and trim rings still on the list. I'm in the middle of a few projects and I think I'm going to spend some time making a spreadsheet in the next few days so I don't have to keep running upstairs (where the reels are) to try to remember what I need for which reel. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

So, a hypothetical question: If I could (I can't) make a reel foot indistinguishable from the original, would it be unethical to place it on this reel? Or would it be OK as long as I disclosed that to any potential buyer (it's not for sale, but some day I'm sure it will be even if it is in my estate sale). That's another reason to keep a spreadsheet with a running inventory; so my wife will know the real values of my reels, not what I paid, or what I told her I paid  ;D ;D ;D

Sid
SE FL
Sid Lehr

Maxed Out

Patience is a must Sid.

Fully correct 40's era long beach 60 or 65 is worth about $50 in mint condition, so rebuilding one from that era with era correct parts is definitely a labor of love, and being patient will keep your costs down.

Oceanreels

Here you go. Penn Long Beach No.60 NIB from 1940. Just as it left the factory, except for wrapping paper.

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Jerseymic

Beautiful 60 Oceanreels, I wish I had one like that in my collection, early Penn reels are difficult, if not impossible to find here in the U.K.

If anyone has one like this for sale, let me know.

Mike,

Now residing in Cornwall U.K.

Ex Jersey Channel Islands, Isle De la Manche, Bay of St. Malo.

Penn Chronology

QuoteHere you go. Penn Long Beach No.60 NIB from 1940. Just as it left the factory, except for wrapping paper.

Absolutely one of the best out there. Beautiful piece!

Tightlines667

Beautiful complete package there. 

Minty Fresh!

;D
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sdlehr

Sid Lehr

Maxed Out

Brian, that is a sweet reel for sure. There's no faking the parts from that era.

sdlehr

Aside from the 65 I picked up a few days back, I got a cheap, "broken, for parts only" Long Beach on EBay (turned out to be missing eccentric and A/R springs and is working fine now!). It turned out to be a 60 with numbered parts and the left side piece had replaced to the older artistic version, so neither the right nor left side plate identified the model. On closer examination of the side plates (one has seen more wear than the other) I noticed some differences in the artwork which I don't know if the Penn historians are aware of; I'm reading the Long Beach chapter of Mike's book tonight, but thought I'd include some photos that show the differences between the two. I felt like a kid with a Highlights for Children comparing the differences between two similar pictures. My macro lens makes it a lot easier to see. In particular, note the different collar and hat on the fisher and the style of the reel handle in these first two photos,

Then compare where the tip of the rod intersects the clouds in these next two

In these next two notice the difference in the design of the top of the light house

And finally, look at the direction of the bird in front of the reel on these last two

Clearly these side plates are not all the same. It would be absurd to assume that all Penn 60 or 65 left side plates came out of the same mold, but this highlights how minor differences between molds showed up to the careful observer. I don't know if this information is of any use to collectors. But I find it interesting as I learn the history of the Penn Reel Company. I thank Mike Cacioppo for his books which have greatly enhanced this interesting hobby for me. I look at little tiny differences in these things and think, "Oh, how cool is that". What have I become?

Sid
SE FL
Sid Lehr

Penn Chronology

Quote. I look at little tiny differences in these things and think, "Oh, how cool is that". What have I become?

You have become a collector. You are doomed to a future of noticing things that no one in their right mind cares about. There is no turning back once you have become a collector, you simply have to learn to live with it.

Ron Jones

Good eye!
His hand is different and so is the position of the reel crank. It would take to many lifetimes to find them all.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"