Show Off Your Long Beach

Started by Penn Chronology, December 12, 2014, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

I'm sure that Penn didn't pour one plate at a time. They were probably set up in gang molds that were all engraved by hand, so there would be differences between all of them. Today the engraving is done with CNC machines which can duplicate multiple items down to the finest detail.       RUDY                 

Ron Jones

Exactly.
To get the "whole" collection, you would have to identify how many plates Penn actually used. I don't even want to think about it. It does let us see the artistry of the old Penn masters though. Really cool stuff.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Maxed Out

....but you're still not seeing everything.

............................................................look again and it's a completely different guy, hair, hat, sideburns, and the imposter is obviously the guy with 2 left hands  ;D ;D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

RowdyW

Now we will have to figure out how many engravers Penn employed since they opened for business & how many were artists & how many were hackers.  :D :D ??? ??? ::) ::)

Dominick

No one has mentioned the cigarette one of the guys is smoking.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Superhook

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12512.0
Most of the graphic tail plate designs are here.

The tail plates were formed in moulds not individually engraved.  The original moulds would have been engraved.

I think there is an old Penn factory photo of a machine in use where they are producing two tail and two head plates at the one time.

sdlehr

Another variation I've not seen before (but that means very little). It's a 66.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

Quote from: sdlehr on January 07, 2016, 09:15:26 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on January 07, 2016, 09:10:38 PM
NICE, Sid!!!!! I'm doing a pair of 65's next week I received as barter for Jiggy service.
You know who to contact if you find any older parts you want to part with... :)

Sid, noted!

Penn Chronology

QuoteAnother variation I've not seen before (but that means very little). It's a 66.

That is a very early non-marked reel. I believe that the early 66 or 67 reels were not marked. The circle where the model number usually is was left blank on purpose until correct marked plug mold were made. I have seen a few reels like this.

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 13, 2016, 06:21:35 AM
QuoteAnother variation I've not seen before (but that means very little). It's a 66.

That is a very early non-marked reel. I believe that the early 66 or 67 reels were not marked. The circle where the model number usually is was left blank on purpose until correct marked plug mold were made. I have seen a few reels like this.
Thanks, Mike. I figured it was a flexibly-labeled mold from early on. It's on its way to me now, from that on-line auction site, for $25 including shipping!!
Sid Lehr

thorhammer

Hey Sid, I got to thinking and remembered I had this 65 spool, no numbers, NOS (was in the green box when I acquired it but the box, he gone). I never installed it and made a 65 - 3/0 Frankenpenn instead.

You likey?

sdlehr

Quote from: thorhammer on January 13, 2016, 09:43:40 PM
Hey Sid, I got to thinking and remembered I had this 65 spool, no numbers, NOS (was in the green box when I acquired it but the box, he gone). I never installed it and made a 65 - 3/0 Frankenpenn instead.

You likey?
Yes, me likey. PM me the $ number.

Sid
Sid Lehr

thorhammer

NC. These guys have been great to me as recently as three minutes ago (thanks Fred, and Daron last week) so in the spirit of the site pay forward. PM me your address and I'll get it out tomorrow.

John

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 13, 2016, 06:21:35 AM

Mike, this is a 66. Are you saying 66 or 67, or 66 and 67? Because if its or, I can confirm it's the 66.

Sid
Sid Lehr

sdlehr

Quote from: thorhammer on January 13, 2016, 09:56:25 PM
NC. These guys have been great to me as recently as three minutes ago (thanks Fred, and Daron last week) so in the spirit of the site pay forward. PM me your address and I'll get it out tomorrow.

John
Wow, thanks, John. Now I'm going to have to find something someone needs that I have. PM to be sent momentarily.
I'm feeling loved!
Sid
Sid Lehr