Pro challenger hear + motive insert trouble

Started by Sharkin904, February 26, 2016, 04:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: mikeysm on February 27, 2016, 04:32:26 PM
I have came to the conclusion that the top hat and felt washer is just a seal to keep grit and contaminants away from the gear. basically a grease seal.

Mike
Yeah, that's what I thought, but the reel gave a different results:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13341.msg134338#msg134338
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mikeysm

Basically Penn developed it as a grease seal. And you found that using a Delrin washer it now serves two purposes. So does Adam have these washers for sale.

Alto Mare

Those seals are worthless, I usually toss them, especially the ones on the ss spinners. they make the handle stiffer to turn and protect you from nothing at all.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Sal, what's amazing to me is that you got better drag numbers using the minimal contact original washer over the full contact modified hat. I'm referring to the link you posted above. Seems to be counter intuitive to me for some reason. Thanks for posting that.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

BMITCH

Maybe a good question to ask on the penn tour ;)
luck is the residue of design.

mikeysm

Yes it would be good to get Penns thought on this. What were they thinking when they decided to use the top hat design.

Mike

Alto Mare

Quote from: BMITCH on February 27, 2016, 05:37:52 PM
Sal, what's amazing to me is that you got better drag numbers using the minimal contact original washer over the full contact modified hat. I'm referring to the link you posted above. Seems to be counter intuitive to me for some reason. Thanks for posting that.

Bob
One of the reason I posted it. ;)
No need to ask Penn about those, we keep moving along here and don't stay with one thing... we keep improving.
Pro-Challenger latest gears are at the top, we are trying to figure out the best layout with the drags for those. Looks like they will be getting something similar as Adam's drag stack, only a little wider.
I don't blame you for getting confused, we have many different configurations, also, having to different openings on a plate for the same reel doesn't help.
Be patience and enjoy the ride, I believe it will all settle down once we get to were we want to be. The problem, that day might never come ;D.