Setting drag for Tiagra 50W LRS

Started by caveirex, March 22, 2015, 07:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveirex

Hi Alan,

finnaly found a way to take care of my own reels, and even my friends reels now :) found you some months ago, and now i'm completely "lost" in this reel maintenance "world" :)
Started to rebuild some old spinning reels, a saragosa 18k f and a twin power 5k sw, and thanks to this forum, not only they look like new again, as they received both a carbontex drag washes and work a lot better.

Now i will rebuild a tiagra 50w but i have some questions about the drag setting.

I bought a new stand up rod, a shimano tyrnos 50-80lbs, but i'm a jigging and popping guy, so have some questions about this trolling setup.
I was thinking to spool this reel with 100lbs JB HC and a momoi's hi catch 100lbs top shot, but how can i follow the 1/3 rule in the drag setting?
I use 1/3 of the 100lbs of the line, or the rod in this case is the weaker point and i usa 1/3 of 80lbs for drag?

I want to use the most drag i can, cause here we have some nasty bft that take line as hell :D

Thanks in advance for help.

Paulo Andrade

alantani

24 pounds of drag for a topshot of 80# mono would be the usual.  the reel can likely handle up to 35 pounds of drag, though. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Patudo

Ola Paulo:

Maximum strike drag on a tiagra50W (not LRS) is indicated from a number of sources as around 28 lbs, but I have fished Tiagra 80Ws with the drag set close to maximum and found the drag lever gets stiff and difficult to move.  I normally try to have my 50 wides set up with around 22 to 25 lbs at the strike button.  It's possible to set more drag on a 50W LRS but moving around the boat, especially a small boat, on heavy drag can become very difficult.  On 30 lbs of drag I have to plan every move carefully.  

Big bluefins in deep water are difficult even with 130 lb gear in a fighting chair.  I would be quite cautious about trying to hook them on stand-up gear if  the fish are 200kgs or larger.

cheers
patudo

handi2

My 50W reels use 60 lb mono at 17 lbs of drag. It mostly depends on the fish you will be targeting. Too much drag and you will rip the hook right out or wear a hole in the fishes mouth risking a lose.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL