Corrosion X VS. 321

Started by mako42, September 07, 2011, 08:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mako42

I bought both and have been sort of alternating them as a general lube to see which I like better, but it's too early to tell.  Because the 321 is ok for plastics, It seems they both have a similiar applications.  Everyone loves the tsi 301, but only for bearings, because an ingredient in it destroys plastics.  I read in the literature that the 321 penetrates the metal, and Alan stated that a year later his bearings are still showing signs that it is still there and working. Could the 321 be better than Corrosion X for protection as well as lubrication?  Could it last as long?, Longer?  Thanks in advance for your opinions.

JGB

321 and 301 work with metal surfaces. Plastics  do not form the bonds with TSI as metal does. 321 is also safe for plastics while the solvents in 301 can attack some plastics before it evaporates away. Keep in mind that 301 solvents serve as a cleaner to release corrosion, lead, copper and powder residue from gun barrels. It then evaporates and leaves behind 1/10 by volume the equivalent of 321. that is why you get better free spool with 301 over 321 as it is much easier to apply in very small quantities.
I to was alternating between TI and CorrosionX so I blended it with 25% TSI 321 so I would have a general purpose lube and protectant for plastics and metal parts and also bearings that did not need ultimate freespool. The TSI in the blend will migrate to the metal surfaces and do it's job and the thicker corrosionX will supply the fluid lube and corrosion inhibitors for gaps and plastics.
I have been using the blend for a couple of years now and it seems to be working very well.
Jim N.

mako42

Thanks Jim.  I just read your earlier post in another thread about mixing tsi 321 and corrosion x.  Now why didn't I think of that??  The best of both.  I also have a can of corrosion x HD but I haven't used it at all.  I just paint all the exposed surfaces with the yamaha grease.  Now you have got me thinking about new combinations!

Dominick

Mako:  Bryan mixes Corrision-X with Evinrude Triple Guard grease in some applications.  Search the site for his comments.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mako42

I remember reading about that mix, but I haven't tried it.  Maybe some 321 and Yamaha Grease would be worth looking into.  Jim, have you had any parts oxidize that you have used straight 321 or the combo on?   

JGB

So far no corrosion when treated with 321. I now use it on my crimping tools.

For the Mixing of 321 and grease - DO NOT MIX GREASE AND 321. It will cause the grease to get lumpy and not stick to metal surfaces. It may go on at first but it will migrate to the metal and lift the grease off. For a test - treat any metal surface with 321 or 301 and then try to grease it.  The TSI has such a strong affinity to metal it will force it's self between the metal and just about any foreign substance like water or grease. I'm not as sure about oils as TSI seems to easily mix with oil.

Jim N.

mako42

Thanks for the tip.  I wonder just how long that 321/301 will stay bonded to the metal and prevent oxidation.

triumphrick

I have looked at this thread over the years seeing if anyone else is experimenting with a mix of greases and CorrosionX.

For the past five years I have been using Amsoil synthetic marine grease inside my reels. The past two years I have used it on customers reels.

A year ago I realized I needed something a little lighter, so I did a mix of 2:1, Amsoil to CorrosionX. I don't service baitcasters, but I do get a lot of lightweight spinning reels in here. I find this mix has been a good substitute for the Penn reel grease; which up until then it was the lightest I could find.

Now I am using it for spool and sideplate bearings in smaller reels. TLD's, Toriums, Saltist, Fathoms all seem to work well with it.

I have held up posting until I started getting reels back for another cleaning; reels that I had previously used this mix. It has held up well, and there has been no separation as was mentioned with 321.

Just another option for you folks to consider.

handi2

Hello Rick,

I too mix CorrosionX with grease for many purposes. Large conventional reel bearings get Yamaha Marine grease and CorrosionX. It's the Aqua colored grease that is much less tacky than others. One of my bearing packers gets that mix also. I don't mix and TSI products with grease.

The little spinners get Penn grease b/c like Rick stated it's the lightest of them all.

I started using Cal's Purple on baitcasting reels with great results. Its light and super slippery!

Now most people will yell at me but I still use Evinrude/Johnson Marine grease and allot of it. Because it's so tacky I think its the best for greasing the inside of side plates, screws, and many other parts where you want the grease to stay. I can pull a screw out 2 years later and it's still bright blue.

On many small spinning reels I soak the bearings in CorrosionX and that's all they get. Shimano spinning reels work great doing this.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Nicko_Cairns

Quote from: JGB on September 07, 2011, 11:36:33 PM
321 and 301 work with metal surfaces. Plastics  do not form the bonds with TSI as metal does. 321 is also safe for plastics while the solvents in 301 can attack some plastics before it evaporates away. Keep in mind that 301 solvents serve as a cleaner to release corrosion, lead, copper and powder residue from gun barrels. It then evaporates and leaves behind 1/10 by volume the equivalent of 321. that is why you get better free spool with 301 over 321 as it is much easier to apply in very small quantities.
I to was alternating between TI and CorrosionX so I blended it with 25% TSI 321 so I would have a general purpose lube and protectant for plastics and metal parts and also bearings that did not need ultimate freespool. The TSI in the blend will migrate to the metal surfaces and do it's job and the thicker corrosionX will supply the fluid lube and corrosion inhibitors for gaps and plastics.
I have been using the blend for a couple of years now and it seems to be working very well.
Jim N.

Great info, thanks Jim.