Penn 2/0 frame

Started by fIsHsTiiCkS, December 22, 2014, 05:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fIsHsTiiCkS

It would be a great if we could make a run. If not talk to tiburon. But i believe they would need an interest of at least 50 or more

ZaneG

I used my Tiburon 113HLW frame as a starting point so I do have the stand bolted....

.....but even making that stand component through a machining process would be difficult (at least in my mind).

Tiburon has to have a mold for that frame someplace if they produced it before so I would also think that is the way to go.

broadway

Check out the 9/0 Tom Dom frames... it is possible with a talented machinist ;)
I'm not sure why we need to pump up a 2/0 for a full frame job... we don't have a gear set to push the posts to the max unless someone comes out with SS gears for us, of course ;D
Dom

Maxed Out

Quote from: broadway on January 20, 2015, 11:42:35 PM
I'm not sure why we need to pump up a 2/0 for a full frame job... we don't have a gear set to push the posts to the max unless someone comes out with SS gears for us, of course ;D
Dom

Because we can....and because it would look cool. Do we need any other reasons Dom ???
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: broadway on January 20, 2015, 11:42:35 PM
Dom

Actually I have plans to do the gear upgrade on these.

trond_solem

I am working on a Senator 2/0 - Long beach 60 frame.
I don't have a LB-60 yet, so I can't insert the holes for the side plate screws. This will be fixed when the LB-60 that is in the mail arrives.
I think it is possible to drill extra holes so that it can be used for both the Senator 2/0 and the LB-60.

broadway

FStix, If there's a gear upgrade in the works go for it, but I'm not sure why to make a frame for a reel that's been discontinued so long.
Ted, why not just make every penn reel an aluminum frame? I guess for me it only makes sense if you're pushing the reel to the max which can't be done with the gearing currently inside. I don't buy frames to be/ look cool ...I buy them for necessity. To each his own, right?
Where the frames would come in handy is 10/0-16/0 as many here have been needing them for quite some time now.
All the best,
Dom

Alto Mare

I do agree with you Dom, but if the option is there, why not make everyone happy ;). On another note, I'm personally not a fan of aluminum, We use aluminum because its the only material that will give us a chance, not because its good, but because its affordable.
Some have pointed out here that aluminum is better than stainless steel, to those I say...please, don't make me laugh. ;D
The SaLee reel reel was a project that never happened, that was started over 3 years ago. The kit was stainless steel half frame for the 10/0 and was designed by me and Lee... too bad :-\
We did understand that weight would have been an issue, but we had ways to bring it down by drilling large holes where able to and thinning down the material. The proper grade stainless steel doesn't need to be too thick for it to do its job.

Carry on guys, just another one of my worthless opinion.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

I remember something was in the works, but never got the specifics. If anyone says aluminum is better than SS they're crazy. Aluminum is lightweight which is the only reason frames are made from it. I would've loved to have seen those Salee frames and think there is a calling for them also.
I just didn't want anyone to waste their money like Tiburon did when they went through the process of designing a frame for the 2/0 that they wound up shelfing.
Also, what would the drag numbers look like in comparison to the jig master? Black Pearl has our jigmasters pumped up to the hilt already. ;)
I do agree, let's make everyone happy.
Dom

Maxed Out

Dom, our reels are just sitting around 99% of the time when not in use, so why not have them look pretty with a one piece frame.......and just because the LB 60 was discontinued is no reason to eliminate it from being a candidate for upgrades...........The 16/0 was discontinued over 20 years ago, yet you want to see a frame made for it, and I guarantee there are a million more LB 60's out there in comparison to the amount of 16/0's out there.

So take a stock used 16/0 that costs you $500+ to buy, then add a expensive frame and other upgrdades and you are well over $1,000. At what point do you draw the line and just go buy a penn international that has aluminum frame and plates and has 50# of drag and is ready to fish....that's why 16/0 was discontinued....and adding a full frame to a reel that already weighs over 12# will make it heavier than a sack of potatoes.........no thanx.

broadway

Ted,
   What else do your reels do with that leftover 1% if we're not using them? ;D
Let me preface my comment by saying I don't need a 2/0 or 16/0 frame.  Now, I agree with not making a frame for the 16/0 as they aren't the most used of Penn's Big Game reels for sharking like the 10/0, 12/0, and 14/0.  The weight of the reel will actually go down with a one piece frame, it will not go up.  The posts, the reel stand, reel clamp, etc way lots more than an aluminum frame.  As much as you're correct about there being more LB 60's than 16/0's, how many people want specialized frames for their 60 as opposed to the 16/0.  Theres no reason in my eyes to pump up a 2/0 or 60, but if it'll make you happy have at it.  Not sure about comparing an International to  16/0 with a frame, but I don't wanna turn this into a peeing match, so I say "Go for it!" As for me... no thanks.
Thanks
Dom

Maxed Out

You're exactly right Dom....I guess my point is form over function. How many cars you see with $2000+ rims, yet the car is only worth $1500, and the huge expenditure did nothing for the performance....and there is no shortage of cars like that on the road. Realizing the LB 60 can never have tons of drag would not stop me from making it look like it could have......it's a jedi mind trick !!

Alto Mare

We've talked about this many times before fellas. Lots of things come into play as for "is it worth it".
It could be a special reel that was given to you by your grandfather or dad, or anything else.
To me yes, it is worth it .
I could get a decent Jigmaster on ebay for $75, adding the ss bridge, yoke, jack, sleeve, gears, spacer, spacer bars, handle and upgraded drag kit would bring it up to @ $265.
Yes, there are new reels out there with the works for that money, but as for me personally, I'm sticking with our jigmaster tank ;)
With that said, enjoy fishing no matter which reel you choose ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I am very Happy with the 9/0 Dom and Tom Frames. I have several 9/0's that I have $400 each in and I haven't even fished them.
Its the labor of love, not how much your going to use it or who else wants it.
I get so much praise for my senator Posts, but its just a Senator with some high end parts. I am nowhere near the Guru like some of our members here. I just like doing it. It makes me Happy! ;D
If there was a frame for a 16/0, you bet your last penny, I would be all over it! ;)
A ultimate 12 and 14/0 are in the works and I am very excited about it. No Frame yet, but a lot of Muscle! >:(
Life is Good!

trond_solem

The Long Beach 60 frame turn out to be difficult to cut if set up as a full frame and not using the inner rings.
The thin flange is very wide so it is difficult en expensive to cut.

Setting it up as a half-frame that uses the inner rings is no problem.

This is what it may look like.