a lefty penn 113h superdrag reel!

Started by gstours, December 17, 2014, 06:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

A friend of mine wanted to have a hotrod 113h reel, only problem he is a lefty. not an odd ball just lefthanded!
  so heres what i came up with for him at fairly low cost.

A good frame was located, as was a hex insert from Lee Putnam, the insert would fit a lefty gear, but only a brass one was available, so it was going to have to do. Next the dragwasher kit was completed as shown.
another picture of the .025 titanium washers and .050 carbon fiber hex fitted washers.

every thing was assembled including the double dogs. the washers and gears were greased.

the hex insert worked as good as my milled gear as the reel boasted 40+ pounds of hanging lead weight without slipping. everything was pretty smooth thru out the drag range, as I pulled out line while tightening the drag while walking at a brisk pace till it just plain stopped you.
  Im sure the lefty penn gearsleeve and gear made from brass need to be watched, but for a lefty reel user theres not a lot of options so i did what i could.  its a great performer if you keep the drag set at 20-25lbs and thats ok for a 4/0 reel at least for me!
   I,m open for criticism and comments.   what do you think?

Tiddlerbasher

Nice work GS. I think 20-25lb of drag is more than enough for most people. For stand up I use only 15lb drag - I don't think my body could cope with much more  :D

Alto Mare

Very nice Gary. You have 11 working sides on the carbon fiber washers, is your drags curve jumping from 0 to 10-15lb at start, or is it increasing gradually?

May I ask where you got the Ti washers from?
Thanks for sharing my friend.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 17, 2014, 10:50:53 AMMay I ask where you got the Ti washers from?

Gary provided the material and I had it cut.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Simply amazing Gary...what else should we expect from the likes of you?   ;)

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

handi2

I have a customer that needs a lefty for his dad. What does it take to make one? Or, are they easy to find used?

Thanks
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: handi2 on December 17, 2014, 05:57:16 PM
I have a customer that needs a lefty for his dad. What does it take to make one? Or, are they easy to find used?

Thanks
Scott's has the parts to make one.

Need Gear sleeve, gears and star. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

handi2

I ordered the LH gear set, LH drag star, LH gear sleeve. Correct
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

gstours

Thanks for the questions; so here goes;   the titanium keyed washers were cut by Mr. Keta.  they are heat treated and thin, very strong material.  The star on the reel I had was right hand threads, same as the other regular (rh normal) reels and did interchange as well, so that meant the threads on the lefty gearsleeve are RH.  the gears and gearsleeve  anti reverse gear are left handed.
  the crank side sideplate is also different as the gears and dogs turn in reverse of what we are used to.

as for the drag, Sal asked what the minimum drag was so with the star backed off it had 87 oz  (5.5 lbs)which is not bad. measurement was taken with cold water in a milk jug. the drag is smooth for me. But with Delrun washers it might be smoother on the low end.  and the max too. I haven't played with delrin much as I got the material after most of my reels were ready for the summer.

I hope this explained a few things.  You may have a request someday to help hotrod a lefty.