AG chain knot?

Started by Nicko_Cairns, December 30, 2014, 01:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

I often tie a chain knot with four to six half-hitches after an Albright knot, improved clinch knot or non-slip loop knot (Homer Rhodes knot).  There is always a chain knot with a dozen half-hitches at the end of a FG knot.  The chain knot protects the main knot (Albright, clinch, loop, FG) from abrasion.  You can also cut the tag end short because if the last half-hitch on the chain knot unravels it does not affect the overall integrity of the connection.

To mushroom the tag end of a knot, hold the knot between thumb and forefinger with only the tag end protruding.  Then melt the tip with a lighter.  If you do not burn your fingers then you know the knot did not get warm enough to do any damage.  Don't mushroom the tag end of a knot that will be cast through the guides.

-steve

boon

I tried tying one of these again last night with 120lb Fluoro. Made a very ugly knot, with such stiff line you can't really get the half-hitches to cinch down well. I'm a bit confused though because apparently this knot excels for knotting heavy fluoro leaders.
However, some very unscientific pull-tests made me think it was also a very strong knot, even with only 6 half-hitches and no rizutto to finish.
Tied another in 80lb mono and that made a very nice knot.

boon

To review, I'm finally getting good at tying these in heavy fluoro. To be honest I wouldn't go back to the uni now. The key is to leave yourself heaps of tag end so you can cinch down the half-hitches as you tie the knot. My Rizutto to finish is still ugly but it definitely makes a very strong knot.