Chronarch Spool sometimes sticks

Started by MudShark7, January 28, 2015, 09:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MudShark7

After servicing, My Chronarch 200 E sometimes sticks after Thumb Bar is depressed - when this happens, I can get freespool easily by moving spool slightly away from handle side. This problem is intermittent.
The reel is spooled with 30# braid.
Any ideas what could be wrong?
It's a pretty new reel.
Remember! - You're Unique, Just like Everybody Else!

Bryan Young

Sounds like our pinion is getting hug up.  Probably the spool shaft needs to be cleaned and the pinion ID needs to be cleaned, then both lubed with a thin lubricant.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MudShark7

I suspected that and took it apart again and degreased the pinion, reamed with q-tip and lightly oiled it but it's the same.
When I pitch a bait, the bait, intermittently, does not go forward and it curves upward. Gotta get this fixed!

Bryan Young

How much side to side movement does your spool move?  It should be a few thousandths of an inch.  If it's anything more than that, adjust the spool tension knob under your star until the side to side movement of the spool is a few thousandths of an inch.

Next I suspect that the yoke may be getting hug up or the yoke springs are worn. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MudShark7

MudShark7

Problem Fixed - Thanks, Bryan
I re-did the pinion, yoke and checked the springs but, they all looked good.
I adjusted the spool tension as you described and I'm assuming that did the trick. I pitched for 10 minutes with no re-occurrence. Thanks!
I've always assumed that the loosest the cap )without being so loose to lose the cap), the better.
So much for my assumption, haha.
But, could you ,please, tell me how the looser cap created the this problem with the spool sticking just so I can understand better how it all works?

Bryan Young

the hint was in you shift the spool to the left, you got free spool.  This means that the hang-up was the mating between the spool cross bar that mates with the slots of the pinion gear.  This means that you had too much side to side play in the spool.

By tightening the spool tension knob, you aligned the spool in the proper spot there by pushing the spool over to the left where the cross bar of the spool does not come in contact the with the pinion gear slots.  I wish I had a picture to show instead of words.

MudShark7

Bryan, Thanks again! I do understand what you're saying and that makes perfect sense.
I learned something!