Top Shot

Started by Reel 224, December 29, 2014, 05:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

This subject of using a top shot with Braided line has me a little puzzled and I'm hoping someone here can answer my question.

What are the advantages of using a top shot with braid and do you match the breaking strength of the braided line with the top shot?

What type of line is best to use Mono or FC?

How much of a top shot should you use on a boat? And how much is necessary if fishing from shore?
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

maxpowers

Using top shot is all about preference.  Basically it boiled down to savings.  If I fish more than 20 trips a year (1-2 days of fishing), I would probably have to respool my mono every 3-4 trips depending on how much fishing I did.  It can get costly.  That said I still love fishing mono, so I run a much longer top shot than most people.  My top shots are usually at least 25 to 50 yards and as much as 100 yards.  There are some application where I run a very short top shot at 4-6 ft such as when I am fishing around kelp, or fishing lures.  I used mostly mono for top shot and tie on a piece of 3--5 ft fluoro when I need a bit more stealth.  My top shots are typically usually about 60% of the braid breaking strength.

MarkT

For bait fishing I've gone to using a 3' leader with the rest braid.  When throwing surface iron I prefer a longer top shot so that I'm not casting with the braid.  I like the mono to be at least one line class below the spectra... if there's a failure, I want it to be in the mono/fluoro and not in the more expensive spectra.  I use 30# mono with 50# spectra, 40-50# mono with 65# spectra.  I usually don't go below 40-50# spectra because it's too small for tying knots and dealing with.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Reel 224

I have read both explanations so far and wondering why you would back down to a lower class top shot when fishing a higher class mainline..it just seams as though the top shot will be the week point and defeat the purpose of the Braided (stronger Line).

Does the Mono or FC give you any advantage in the hook set? Ive read and heard that it (Mono/FC) has more stretch and allows a better chance of a good hook set,since braid doesn't stretch. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

maxpowers

The difference in the diameter between mono and braid is 2+ line class.  If you try to tie 60lbs braid to 60 lbs mono it would be quite difficult to do so.  If you use certain friction knots like the FG or PR knots then it would be ok to tie any poundage top shot you like.  Some people do tie 80-130 lbs top shots to 50-60 lbs braid using friction knots in order to gain the abrasion protection that mono and fluoro offered.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Reel 224 on December 29, 2014, 06:39:20 PM
I have read both explanations so far and wondering why you would back down to a lower class top shot when fishing a higher class mainline..it just seams as though the top shot will be the week point and defeat the purpose of the Braided (stronger Line).

Does the Mono or FC give you any advantage in the hook set? Ive read and heard that it (Mono/FC) has more stretch and allows a better chance of a good hook set,since braid doesn't stretch. 

"Top Shots" are really just another name for "leader" but they can be quite long when they essentially become the main line and the Braid is a backing. This is really the origination of the term as I understand it.

As above, mono is far easier to cast with conventional reels because of it's stiffness (resists back lashing) and a top shot of 100 yards of 40lb mono is common with casters of artificial lures. If you do cast artificial lures with straight braid then you can easily use very heavy leader for abrasion resistance (ie 100lb).

Typically having a little heavier braid is common for live bait fishing as the thicker braid will "cut" the mono less when it is tied together leading to stronger connections with the same mono leader. In a braid to mono tie the braid always cuts the mono. The knot becomes stronger the heavier the braid gets as the thicker braid slices less.

Fishing 40-50lb braid people commonly fish very short (ie 4') 20-60lb leaders depending on what it takes to get bit. The idea is to go as heavy on the leader as you can get away with, but a tough bite might mean you go much lighter than your main line.

The best hook set is with lines that don't stretch as the connection to the fish is more immediate. However, staying hooked a little stretch maintains tension on the hook and keeps the fish buttoned. You can also fish a little softer rod to accomplish the same idea if using very short leader. Braid is very much preferred for positive hook sets in fish with tough mouths, especially if you have a lot of line out. Mono is preferred for staying hooked during long fights with powerful fish.

MarkT

Quote from: Reel 224 on December 29, 2014, 06:39:20 PM

The main reason to use braid is you get much greater capacity on the reel since the spectra is so small... 50# spectra is about the diameter of 12# mono. 30# mono is still much larger than 50# spectra so you have to use a Tony Pena or Improved Albright (there are lots of others) to join them.  Spectra also has very little stretch so is good for bottom fishing. That increased sensitivity lets you almost feel a fish looking at your bait!  Yes, the top shot should be the weak point... if you snag the bottom in 300' of water where do you want the line to break?

johndtuttle

Quote from: MarkT on December 29, 2014, 08:55:52 PM

Yes, the top shot should be the weak point... if you snag the bottom in 300' of water where do you want the line to break?

Kinda depends. Pretty much it will always break at the leader to braid knot. If you are jig fishing for yellowtail with 100lb test for abrasion resistance and hook California instead you still will break off at the knot fishing 50-60lb braid.

MarkT

If I'm using a dropper loop I often tie on the sinker using a much lighter line so I'll break off the sinker if it snags. Yes, the knot connecting the leader is going to be weak point if you don't have a knick in the line somewhere but even then, when was the last time you tried breaking 50# with a straight pull?  Not easy. I'll wrap the mainline around a dowel and walk backwards until something gives.  I've gotten back jigs with a bent out hook as well as bringing up a granite grouper that broke off from the bottom.

FatTuna

These are the reasons that I use them:

1. Filling an 80W with braid isn't cheap. If I wanted to fill my 80 entirely with a quality hollowcore braid, it would probably cost me more then I paid for the reel. A lot of guys will add dacron backing first, then a hollowcore braid for capacity, then add a top shot, and then add a leader.

2. The top shot helps prevent pulled hooks. Braided line is good for getting a solid hookup, is good for line capacity, and is economical in the sense that it lasts a while. However, when you are targeting really large fish, the lack of stretch in the line can result in a lot of pulled hooks. The mono top shot acts as an elastic. When the fish hits really hard on the troll or has been hooked for a long time, the added stretch is everything. The hook will start to work a hole in the fish's mouth after a while and braid will just help rip it out. Using hooks with solid welded rings will help prevent pulled hooks as well.

3. Some fish are really fickle and are turned off by the presence anything unnatural. Braid is very visible; clear mono is translucent. 

Reel 224

Since my application in this case is not for the big game fish like Yellow fin,big eye,or sail fish. I have more or less decided to use a 6'-8' top shot of 40# mono or Fluoro Carbon as leader for it's abrasive value.

I use an Alberto knot for my Braid to Mono or Fluoro Carbon and tied both with the braid I'm using to test the knots strength and I am very satisfied with that. I can see how this becomes more critical when trolling for bigger fish and the bigger Grouper. In my case it will be for Stripper,Blues,and smaller bottom fish like Summer Flounder(Fluke) and Black Fish(Toe Toug). Nothing over 50# and that is wishful thinking ;D