Penn 505 Accurate. Slipping Star

Started by franky, January 02, 2015, 08:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 03, 2015, 07:07:52 AM
Sorry I'm late to the party.  Glad you got it worked out, but it still sounds strange to me because the gear sleeve, belleville, spacer, and top keyed washer should be turning together...quite the handle.

It is quite possible that the top eared washer does not stay in the gear and may be spinning on top. 

Franky, call me if you run into any more problems.

Even if the eared washer was not seated right the top washer is still keyed so it would not turn, keeping everything in place. It's an interesting situation. Makes me feel like it's the star, can't hold the tension anymore. One of the things I like about your belleville washers is how much tension they put evenly on the stack, but also on the spacer. But it's fixed now so there it is! 

Sal, I like the idea of the acetal washers because helps the spacers move smoothly when tightening the star. I have some on the way. I have a few setups going in reels and will see how they go this season!

Alto Mare

No, the eared washer not sitting correctly will definitely cause what Franky's reel was experiencing. I know it's done now, but the top eared washer is usually a very good possibility of the problem.
A tilted eared washer if cranked down will still give you full drag, you just need to crank the star harder, but would get lose as line goes out.

On the Acetal washer, yes the best solution is for anyone that wants to give it a try to compare, that would be the best way.

Back on the belleville that Bryan is offering with the kit, that belleville never came with the Jigmaster, or any other smaller reels.
I know that the Newells have them, but Penn only used  tension springs on those...I'm seeing why.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

yeah, when this happens it is usually because the eared washer is on top.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Makes sense! Just me over thinking it  ;D. Glad it's all working again!