A new alu-frame for Penn reels.

Started by trond_solem, January 03, 2015, 06:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trond_solem

Quote from: Max Doubt on January 04, 2015, 05:55:43 PM
Put me down for a half dozen of those LB 60 frames. That'll be enough to get me started.

That is noted.
I have to do measurements on a real reel before ordering.
Does anyone have a reel that I can borrow, or a shoddy reel I can buy?

Maxed Out

Heck yes, I would absolutely send you a useable penn 60 that you can have, and fish after you're done with it.. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll get the ball rolling. I'll even pay postage.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Islandgypsy

X2 to what Ted said, I've got a mess of them if you need a prototype or guinea pig!
                      - G.B .

trond_solem

Quote from: Islandgypsy on January 04, 2015, 11:30:46 PM
X2 to what Ted said, I've got a mess of them if you need a prototype or guinea pig!
                      - G.B .

If you got wider reels, or other penn reels that may deserve an aluminium frame, please ship them to me and I will try to get some frames cut for a reasonable price.

This is what a tricked out Senator 112 may look with custom parts and a new frame.

Aiala

Mr. Solem, have you considered fabricating custom side plates as well as frames? The thing is, ever since Accurate, JVariance and Lee Pro stopped making them, reelheads are frantic to get hold of any leftovers, and are paying crazy prices (myself included). Maybe there's still enough of a demand to make it worthwhile?   :)

~A~

trond_solem

Quote from: Aiala on January 05, 2015, 07:47:03 PM
Mr. Solem, have you considered fabricating custom side plates as well as frames? The thing is, ever since Accurate, JVariance and Lee Pro stopped making them, reelheads are frantic to get hold of any leftovers, and are paying crazy prices (myself included). Maybe there's still enough of a demand to make it worthwhile?   :)

~A~

That is an idea that has spun around inside my head for a while.
Which sideplates are most interesting? Once I have established a good connection with a CNC cutting company, there are almost no limits for what I can draw up and have cut.

Trond

RowdyW

Hi Trond, how about Jigmaster 500 & 501 plates?

Aiala

Quote from: RowdyW on January 05, 2015, 11:23:20 PM

I agree with Rowdy, because the same plates could be used for a "99", a 506, and a 505, which would make them very versatile. Also, I know that Black Pearl's double-dogged bridge can fit because I have two of them installed in my Accuplated Jigmasters.

And, if they were offered in an assortment of colors, like Accurate did, that would be an added incentive to potential buyers.   :)

~A~

trond_solem

Quote from: Aiala on January 05, 2015, 11:58:07 PM
Quote from: RowdyW on January 05, 2015, 11:23:20 PM

I agree with Rowdy, because the same plates could be used for a "99", a 506, and a 505, which would make them very versatile. Also, I know that Black Pearl's double-dogged bridge can fit because I have two of them installed in my Accuplated Jigmasters.

And, if they were offered in an assortment of colors, like Accurate did, that would be an added incentive to potential buyers.   :)

~A~

Good idea! Now I have to buy a Jigmaster 500, a 501 and the high speed jigmasters.  :-)
Getting them in different colors is no problem. The coloring is a separate part of the anodizing process at the end, so getting 3 or 4 colors is no problem.
I am looking into making spools also. No big deal drawing them up.
If I make spools and frames, you can have the reels in almost any width you want. :-)
Image of reel with alu side plates coming up in few minutes. Rendering takes some time. :-)

trond_solem

Quote from: Aiala on January 05, 2015, 07:47:03 PM

~A~

I had sideplates for the 112 reel drawn up, so I conveted those to ringless alu-plates. Internals not complete yet, but you get the idea.

Aiala

Quote from: trond_solem on January 06, 2015, 12:56:57 AM
I had sideplates for the 112 reel drawn up, so I converted those to ringless alu-plates. Internals not complete yet, but you get the idea.

Indeed I do... just beautiful!!  :o

~A~

Dominick

Trond, I viewed the photos on your web site.  The photos of the aurora borealis are spectacular.  I understand that the aurora is always viewable in that area of Norway.  Is that true?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

trond_solem

Quote from: Dominick on January 06, 2015, 03:38:27 AM
Trond, I viewed the photos on your web site.  The photos of the aurora borealis are spectacular.  I understand that the aurora is always viewable in that area of Norway.  Is that true?  Dominick

Not completely true. :-)
During wintertime, when we get some darkness at night, there is some aurora visible far north almost evey night is the weather permits viewing. The last nights there have been very active auroa over most parts of the country, but the heavy cloud cover here wont let any light through.
In the summer, we don't have dark enough sky so the aurora are visible. Midsummer the sun is down for less than an hour here, and a bit further north, it is never down. I.e. midnight sun.
We will need an aurora KP index of about 1000 to make it visible then, but then again you probably will need a space suit to survive. :-)

Islandgypsy

Hello Trond, don't have any wider Long Beaches at the moment. PM me if you would like me to send a 60 LB for your project.  -G.B.