stella 10000FA anti-reverse issue

Started by Cost_spin, January 15, 2015, 11:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cost_spin

Hi,
I did maintenance to my reel, disassembled, oiled ballbearings, greased gears,  and remounted.
All was OK except now the anti reverse doesn't work and the rotor runs backward and forward.
I suspect the problem is the roller clutch but it seems like before I disassembled it.
I didn't lube the roller clutch, because there was a little of oil when opened.
How can I solve the problem?
Is there some other component I can re-control?
I'll appreciate any further tip.

Bye
Costas

johndtuttle

Quote from: Cost_spin on January 15, 2015, 11:51:54 PM
Hi,
I did maintenance to my reel, disassembled, oiled ballbearings, greased gears,  and remounted.
All was OK except now the anti reverse doesn't work and the rotor runs backward and forward.
I suspect the problem is the roller clutch but it seems like before I disassembled it.
I didn't lube the roller clutch, because there was a little of oil when opened.
How can I solve the problem?
Is there some other component I can re-control?
I'll appreciate any further tip.

Bye
Costas

You may have not put it back together just right. Look for a tutorial by mattK in a post titled "Roller Clutch on Sedona". This is a basic guide that will work for all Shimano roller clutches.

No oil or grease in a Shimano clutch. Just get it as clean as you can and be sure the interior sleeve is replaced correctly.

Cost_spin

HI Johon,
It seems that sedona's roller clutch is quite different from stella 10000FA;

SEDONA:

STELLA (it comes from stella 2013 Alak Hawk review but seems to me quite similar to 10000FA):

I put all the springs correctly, maybe I didn't alligned some components upstairs or downstairs the roller clutch assembly  ???

this is 10000FA schematic:
http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/techdocs/en/stl10000fa_v1_m56577569830498769.pdf

Bye
Costas

johndtuttle

No, the point is that the concepts are exactly the same. If you grasp how the Sedona clutch works you will have no trouble with the clutch on any Shimano spinning reel.

The key idea is that the wide base of the needles have to slide perfectly on the plastic housing to work. Any oil or grease on the barrels will cause them to fail.

Also, the interior sleeve that fits over the pinion has to be oriented correctly. It may be able to be put in upside down and seem correct but the clutch will not work.

Cost_spin

Quote from: johndtuttle on January 16, 2015, 10:36:11 AM
--
Also, the interior sleeve that fits over the pinion has to be oriented correctly. It may be able to be put in upside down and seem correct but the clutch will not work.

Thanks Johon,
what do you mean for "correctly"? the springs seem without front or rear and without the little "legs" of the sedona.

Costas

johndtuttle

Quote from: Cost_spin on January 16, 2015, 11:32:59 AM
Quote from: johndtuttle on January 16, 2015, 10:36:11 AM
--

Thanks Johon,
what do you mean for "correctly"? the springs seem without front or rear and without the little "legs" of the sedona.

Costas

Not the springs, the Sleeve that goes over the Pinion Gear (between the needles of the roller clutch and the pinion). Look at the Sedona tutorial and mattK shows the interior sleeve (not shown on the schematic) that has an orientation that can be only one way for the clutch to work.

the_reel_doc

shimano stella 8000fa by ichiban     Put that in the search and it will bring up a complete breakdown. Don't know why it would not just go to it.

Cost_spin

Solved  ;D
The problem was how to activate the antireverse before closing the roller clutch.
I found this video that explain that and despite that it's for a Shara, it with your suggestions clarified me how to solve.
Thank you very much for your help guys.
In attach some photos of roller clutch dis-assemnled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcCUYNxTYLg

Bye
Costas

johndtuttle

All's well that ends well  :D.

Like I said, the key is understanding how they all work. Once you grasp the Shimano concept (they really like nesting puzzles) you can figure any of them out.  ;)