My rig.

Started by Nicko_Cairns, February 02, 2015, 04:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicko_Cairns

Hi guys,

This is how I rig over here for fishing on the Great Barrier Reef. Note that I fish 50lb and 80lb braid as sharks can be a concern, so I try and get fish up quickly.

http://www.fishandboattube.com.au/media-gallery/446

Cheers, Nicko.

foakes

Thanks for that, Nicko --

Easy and strong.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mike1010

That's pretty much a Bristol or "no-name" knot, which I've been using for a couple of years in preference to Albrights and their variations.  It is very compact and strong, and fast and easy to tie.  One major difference between the video and my knots is that mine use fewer turns of mono or fluoro.  I fish inshore, seldom use a leader heavier than 40 lb, and find four turns is plenty, and easy to snug up.  I might go as high as six turns with a 20 lb leader.  I expect many turns of 100 lb mono to be hard to form up.  Nicko, is that not a problem?  Having said that, I suspect there are leader materials that want more turns, to avoid getting sliced by the braid.

The only failures I've seen with this knot are the surgeon's loop cutting the standing part of the braid.  Some folks say that surgeon's loops are prone to that.  I'm not sure whether that's true, or mine were not tied perfectly.  If I have the time and am not in conditions that make tying too hard, I use a Bimini instead.

Nicko_Cairns

It is a bristol knot, there is sound on the video but it's not super loud. I got the knot from here and use ten turns.

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techniques/sport-fishing-knot-challenge

It came third but is the quickest and neatest of the top three imo. YMMV.

The six turn overhand knot is technically a bit different to a true surgeons I think, a surgeons joins two lines together, at least that's what I think? Anyway, zero issues with the braid cutting. A mate uses the same knots for Giant Trevally to 90lbs, hasn't had any issues either.

Quote from: mike1010 on February 02, 2015, 07:50:56 PM
That's pretty much a Bristol or "no-name" knot, which I've been using for a couple of years in preference to Albrights and their variations.  It is very compact and strong, and fast and easy to tie.  One major difference between the video and my knots is that mine use fewer turns of mono or fluoro.  I fish inshore, seldom use a leader heavier than 40 lb, and find four turns is plenty, and easy to snug up.  I might go as high as six turns with a 20 lb leader.  I expect many turns of 100 lb mono to be hard to form up.  Nicko, is that not a problem?  Having said that, I suspect there are leader materials that want more turns, to avoid getting sliced by the braid.

The only failures I've seen with this knot are the surgeon's loop cutting the standing part of the braid.  Some folks say that surgeon's loops are prone to that.  I'm not sure whether that's true, or mine were not tied perfectly.  If I have the time and am not in conditions that make tying too hard, I use a Bimini instead.

mike1010

Quote from: Nicko_Cairns on February 02, 2015, 08:32:30 PM
It is a bristol knot, there is sound on the video but it's not super loud. I got the knot from here and use ten turns.

The six turn overhand knot is technically a bit different to a true surgeons I think, a surgeons joins two lines together, at least that's what I think? Anyway, zero issues with the braid cutting. A mate uses the same knots for Giant Trevally to 90lbs, hasn't had any issues either.

Hi, Nicko.  Surgeon's knots and loops are two different things.   You are right that the knot is to tie two lines together.   This one's a surgeon's loop.

Mike

DaBigOno

Quote from: Nicko_Cairns on February 02, 2015, 04:25:51 PM
Hi guys,

This is how I rig over here for fishing on the Great Barrier Reef. Note that I fish 50lb and 80lb braid as sharks can be a concern, so I try and get fish up quickly.

http://www.fishandboattube.com.au/media-gallery/446

Cheers, Nicko.

looks good!  will have to give it a go...
thanks
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Nicko_Cairns

Quote from: mike1010 on February 02, 2015, 09:16:17 PM
Quote from: Nicko_Cairns on February 02, 2015, 08:32:30 PM

Hi, Nicko.  Surgeon's knots and loops are two different things.   You are right that the knot is to tie two lines together.   This one's a surgeon's loop.

Mike

Cheers Mike, so the triple opand six overhand knots I tie are surgeons loops? Apologies, I thought surgeons were two separate lines, but I guess it doesn't matter whether they are separate or not right? Cheers mate.