Shimano Thunnus 16000F

Started by Dan G., March 25, 2015, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan G.

I've owned the subject reel for quite a few years and it has given me good service.  However, it's a little long in the tooth compared to some of the new spinners and I would like to "update" it if possible.  Does anyone have any maintenance or upgrade suggestions that can improve its' performance (bearings, drag, handle, etc.)?  Thanks

Dan

johndtuttle

Quote from: Dan G. on March 25, 2015, 08:15:06 PM
I've owned the subject reel for quite a few years and it has given me good service.  However, it's a little long in the tooth compared to some of the new spinners and I would like to "update" it if possible.  Does anyone have any maintenance or upgrade suggestions that can improve its' performance (bearings, drag, handle, etc.)?  Thanks

Dan

Its a fine reel and doesn't really need upgrades and has bearings in all the right places for the most part (ie both sides of pinion, on the main gear and handl). Probably all it needs is a thorough service and fresh drag washers etc. Possibly the bushings that support the worm gear could use replacement.

Eventually they will loosen up as the main gear and pinon wear, but any bearings that are rough are easily replaced. If needed you can likely find a new main gear and pinion.

Dan G.

Thanks John. The next time I travel to Corpus Christi area to surf fish Padre, I'll stop in at Roy's and get it serviced.

Dan