16/0 reel seat length

Started by diamonddave, January 05, 2015, 01:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diamonddave

I am inquiring about this length for a rod rebuild

Shark Hunter

Not sure what you mean about seat length Dave. I'm not a rod builder, but I know an alps 32mm seat is the way to go on the 14 and 16/0. It takes a massive seat to hold these beasts.
This is a 16/0 with that same reel seat.
[IMG]
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

That looks good to me.  I think the 16/0 seat is actually the weak point in this beast...that is after years if heavy use a metal fatigue.  A good guide likely helps a bit.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

I Have to agree with you John. This reel weighs in at about 12 pounds unspooled. Picking it up out of the rod holder and strapping it in the harness is like picking up a cinder block! The 14/0 isn't that much different. Spool it to the brim with 130 lb mono and you are talking 20 lbs of old school fish catching Machine! It doesn't feel that heavy when you are just holding the reel, but when you mount it to a rod, It puts it into perspective. ;) Its like A Bowling Ball on a stick. Once you get strapped in, its fine. Before that, its like a baby trying to pick something up a little too heavy. Awkward. :P
Life is Good!

diamonddave

thanks guys I don't have the reel with me right now getting ready to go to the vendor where I shop and did not measure the length before I came down here I had a 25mm it was about 1/4 inch too tight. will try to pick up a 32 mm thanks again

diamonddave

John I was asking about the length between the hoods on the seat when open to set the reel in the 32 mm you said is the seat diameter. I have a 12/0 14/0 and a 16'0 and was wanting to make this rod compatiable with all three reels. Plus when I get an 80 international to use on this rod. thanks Dave