A Winter Project

Started by Penn Chronology, January 09, 2015, 03:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteThe shear wealth of knowledge and history being thrown around is mind blowing.

Yup, after all the time I have dedicated to studying the history of fishing tackle and according to my wife, my mind is blown.......... :(

broadway

Very cool stuff, Mike.  Are those dogs peened or just a precise fit, I can't tell from the photo?
Mike, Sal has been there for everyone on this site at one time or another, so we just try to pay it forward. I've learned a lot here that ain't about reels.
Thanks
Dom
PS- Do you need a SS sleeve?

Penn Chronology

QuoteVery cool stuff, Mike.  Are those dogs peened or just a precise fit, I can't tell from the photo?
Mike, Sal has been there for everyone on this site at one time or another, so we just try to pay it forward. I've learned a lot here that ain't about reels.
Thanks
Dom
PS- Do you need a SS sleeve?

Dom,

That is an excellent question about the dogs that I cannot answer, because the restoration of the reel was done by my good friend, Ray, in Australia. I simply do not know. I would think not, because a dog is an item that wears and needs to renewed from time to time. permanently mounting them does not make good sense.
              Ray aka Superhook, if you are reading this, maybe you can answer the question about the dogs in the EVH Commodore Ross.

I kind of really like the concept of "Pay it Forward" and I practice it whenever I can, but in the case of Sal, I think it should go both ways. At least when it can. The generosity really caught me by surprise. I am also learning a lot here.

And the beat goes on, yes, I need a Stainless Steel sleeve.......................... ;D  

But, I no longer need a spool. I won a Newell spool on EBay last night, so now it can look like a total reel, almost. Almost all the big parts are in my possession.

broadway

I agree with you Mike...Sal is unbelievable, but another thing Sal is, is modest so right now he's cringing saying, "let's move on and talk reels." LOL ...I know you, Sal ;)
Send me a PM with your address please.
Enjoy the build and we love the info you bring to this forum. Our Chief (Alan) is a magnet for quality people... glad you finally got sucked in. ;D
Dom

Penn Chronology

QuoteOur Chief (Alan) is a magnet for quality people... glad you finally got sucked in. Grin

Must be that steel plate in head........................... :o

coastal_dan

This thread has been a pleasure to read thus far...a little eye candy, a little bit of history and a few amazing folks.  Two thumbs up!  Looking forward to the finished product and congrats on your "Anniversary Reel".
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

Superhook

Dom,

If i remember correctly the dogs on the EVH slide on over the pins , no peening.  On first sight i was a little concerned on how to hold them out when fitting the main gear . No problem , just slide it down and with light pressure while turning they move out to correct fit.

Ray

Alto Mare

Quote from: broadway on January 14, 2015, 06:16:05 PM
I agree with you Mike...Sal is unbelievable, but another thing Sal is, is modest so right now he's cringing saying, "let's move on and talk reels." LOL ...I know you, Sal ;)
Send me a PM with your address please.
Enjoy the build and we love the info you bring to this forum. Our Chief (Alan) is a magnet for quality people... glad you finally got sucked in. ;D
Dom
Dom, I thank you for your kind words, but you already know that there are a bunch of guys here that do the same, you're one of them. About the red spool, if you remember,  Dominick purchased one off Bob (Cone), about two years ago and had Bob ship it to me. Bob found out that I really like those and sent me one soon after that one. By coincidence One of the members just offered me another today. Good things are always happening here. ;)
Thanks to Harry, I haven't purchased Penn grease for the past two years and I'm sure neither has Daron and a few others. That man doesn't know when to stop ::). I need to stop holler at him, I love that guy.
These are just a few that I'm mentioning, as I said, there are many many more great members here.

Sorry guys, back to the reels.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Ray,
   Thanks for the clarification.  I figured, like Mike said, that it's a part that needs replacing from time to time and wouldn't be peened, but it looked like it to me in the photo.
Sal, One thing is for sure, there are too many good people to list on this site... a lot easier to list the bad eggs. ::) See I told you I knew you... "Back to reels", lol ;D
Thanks
Dom

Tightlines667

We have bad eggs here?

Doesn't one spoil the bunch or some such thing?

O...wait... thats apples.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

broadway

No real bad eggs here... just a few that come now and again asking for stuff or just trying to sell stuff and never coming back.
Not to mention, good luck trying to spoil this bunch. ;)
Dom

Maxed Out

I'd say your 113H reel turned out quite nice Mike, considering the chrome spacer bars were only put onto reels and not offered as a separate part. That would be the toughest parts to get for your build. No surprise you pulled it off.

Now try doing that with a 114H. Somehow I think you could pull it off as well.

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

QuoteI'd say your 113H reel turned out quite nice Mike, considering the chrome spacer bars were only put onto reels and not offered as a separate part. That would be the toughest parts to get for your build. No surprise you pulled it off.

Thanks Ted, I think if I do this again, I would do it with a 113HLW. I see some of those bars on EBay right now but they are more money and also in worse condition, so I will wait on that build. There is no hurry, it is Winter in my part of the world. A 114H is interesting but I think I will want a boxed original when it comes to the big guy. They are out there... :)

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 15, 2015, 06:47:27 AM
QuoteI'd say your 113H reel turned out quite nice Mike, considering the chrome spacer bars were only put onto reels and not offered as a separate part. That would be the toughest parts to get for your build. No surprise you pulled it off.

Thanks Ted, I think if I do this again, I would do it with a 113HLW. I see some of those bars on EBay right now but they are more money and also in worse condition, so I will wait on that build. There is no hurry, it is Winter in my part of the world. A 114H is interesting but I think I will want a boxed original when it comes to the big guy. They are out there... :)

I saw a nice 114h with the chrome bars on ebay not to long ago. To bad I didnt know you were in the market. Will keep an eye out for you.