A Winter Project

Started by Penn Chronology, January 09, 2015, 03:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteI saw a nice 114h with the chrome bars on ebay not to long ago. To bad I didnt know you were in the market. Will keep an eye out for you.

Thank you, but sometimes things happen very fast. I got one tonight privately. I do appreciate the thought.

Penn Chronology

Hello All,

I know, you all thought I left town but I did not. Just to put a bit of my private schedule out there, every weekend, mostly from Friday to Sunday, I live on my job at JFK Airport and I am away from my computer. So, I am basically off line. I have an I Phone but I do not do anything online with it except to monitor for emergencies on the weekends.

So, today is Tuesday, I think ???, and I wanted to throw in an update on my Winter Project. I am waiting for one gentleman to invoice me for a special handle blade and star drag wheel and I am also waiting for that absolutely wonderful Stainless Steel double dog bridge but waiting for those items does not mean all is stagnant. I have begun a list for all the great people that are making this project possible.  

My parts have grown somewhat since my last installment here and I now have list of credits:

I have yoke springs, an eccentric and a stock chrome plated brass free spool lever with screw. I need a Eccentric Spring and Eccentric Jack but I am waiting, hoping  Stainless versions appears online before I actually start to build the reel, if they do not appear I will simply use stock parts.

The time line is, when I get all the available customs parts, I will start the build. Parts that may or may not be ready when I am (like the double dog bridge) will go on a back burner and be installed as replacements of the stock parts as they become available. Eventually, this reel will be a poster child for what could have been a Stock Penn Product, if Penn wanted to build $500.00 Senator 4/O's.

More to Come ;D

Bryan Young

Wow...nice build...  Can't wait to see the finished product.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Penn Chronology

QuoteWow...nice build...  Can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks Bryan, I will try to get this done while most are still young. ;D

Aiala

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 20, 2015, 08:15:11 PM
Eventually, this reel will be a poster child for what could have been a Stock Penn Product, if Penn wanted to build $500.00 Senator 4/O's.

Why wouldn't they??  ;D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Bryan Young

It's called a Torque :D  ;)  ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Penn Chronology

QuoteQuote from: Penn Chronology on Today at 12:15:11 PM
Eventually, this reel will be a poster child for what could have been a Stock Penn Product, if Penn wanted to build $500.00 Senator 4/O's.

Why wouldn't they??  Grin

In my humble opinion, what is done here is a "Labor of Love" and what Penn does is "Business". Penn does what it does very well but there are Purists here that answer to a higher calling than "Business".

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Aiala

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 21, 2015, 01:22:36 AM
In my humble opinion, what is done here is a "Labor of Love" and what Penn does is "Business". Penn does what it does very well but there are Purists here that answer to a higher calling than "Business".

Labor of Love for sure! I wince to think of how much I've spent adding "purity" to perfectly robust Penns... ::)

But of course I wouldn't have it any other way.

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Penn Chronology

QuoteI wince to think of how much I've spent adding "purity" to perfectly robust Penns... Roll Eyes

Beautifully said!

coastal_dan

I'm going to be 'that' guy...any progress on this amazing project?  Not to be pushy or anything! Haha ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

I thought someone would start getting impatient :) I have a custom handle blade and custom star wheel on the way. My biggest desire is the double dog bridge but that is not available yet. At least I do not think it is available yet.

I get side tracked very easily because I have so many different projects going on, And I work, and take care of my family and write and , and and. I need 30 hour days.

coastal_dan

Haha, no sweat sir!  To me the fun of these builds is the fact the we do them between family and work, so it makes them that more special.  Handle sounds awesome!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

I have been informed that my handle blade and star wheel are ready. Soon I will have made another small progressive step....................... ;D

Penn Chronology

Yup, there are a couple of more parts to add to my stock. The handle now has a custom stainless steel blade and the sleeve has a phenomenal machined stainless steel star wheel (both of these super high quality parts are from Adam F). The key part I am hoping for here is the 113H stainless steel double dog bridge. This part is in the works and I am starting to think that I should build the reel from this point with all stock parts and add the stainless steel bridge when it becomes available.

I guess I need a free spool lever, eccentric cam and spring, jack, bridge, dog, dog spring. I believe the rest I have. This may happen this winter. :-\