Chasing kings in New Zealand

Started by redsetta, January 10, 2015, 05:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

Had a cracker trip this morning, though only one photo to show for it.
Hit the road at 3am and were in the boat by five.
Picked up some livies, then out to deeper water.
Tried a bit of high-speed jigging, then pulled out a Rapala (me) and a skirted marlin lure (my mate, Ryan).
Ryan reckoned I'd get nothing on my near 30-year-old pink Rapala (started out red, but faded), but was proven wrong.
Picked up two around 1m (~3ft) kings quicksmart!
The Tank performed flawlessly.
Kings were peeling plenty of line, so had to really put the pressure on, but the Tank was smooth as silk.
Got hit by a couple more on livies, but they dropped 'em before the hook bit.
Great day on the water, one fish for me and one for Ryan (he called it a 'consolation prize') and home by 11am!
Debbie's lined up friends and family for a big cook-up tomorrow - can't go freezing fresh kingie!
Thanks to Ryan for being skipper and guide for the day - had us on the spot, despite a broken GPS.
Righto - all the best, Justin

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Shark Hunter

Very Nice Justin! I love Rapala's. I have some Lures called AC Shiners, That are built like Rapala's, but have a lot nicer action.
Enjoy that cook out Buddy! ;D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Nice going Justin, yes the old gear can still get it done. That's going to be a nice meal...enjoy it my friend.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Cheers lads!
Hope all's well with you and yours

fIsHsTiiCkS

i have seen some of the most rusted and beat up lures crush some fish! Nice catches!

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

wallacewt

good to see buddy
smile says it all

Keta

Nice.

BTW, a light smoke and then canning them is a good way to store "excess" YT/kingfish.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Great report justin. Looks like fun. Thanks for sharing.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

broschro

Islandgypsy

Dandies,Justin. Good call with the Rapala.  GB

ChileRelleno

Very nice fish!

Makes me miss SoCal Yellowtails.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

redsetta

Thanks lads.
Chile - not a patch on that monster hammer of yours, but a bit of fun nonetheless!
Lee, will smoke the next one for sure.
We had family and friends around yesterday, and a little over half one fish fed 10 adults and our two kids.
I marinaded the steaks in tamari soy sauce, macadamia oil, chopped garlic and minced ginger, with salt and pepper rubbed in.

Also cubed a bit of it, which Debbie crumbed and pan-fried, and served with homemade garlic aioli.

Still have plenty left, so will be chipping away at it for a few days yet!
Righto - good luck out on the water.
Cheers, Justin

Dominick

Great photo Justin.  You did not wear those shorts in public did you?   :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

QuoteYou did not wear those shorts in public did you?  :D
Yeah, but usually with a Hawaiian shirt, open to the navel  ;) ;D