Full Undergear Drag Washer

Started by trond_solem, October 27, 2014, 03:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trond_solem

Quote from: Keta on January 12, 2015, 02:26:16 PM
I'm not sure the gearsleeve is thick enough to mill the grove in it and still be strong enough.

The grooves will remove less metal than filing down the flats down to the ratchet. There will still be more than enough metal to make it strong enough.

Keta

Flats do not create stress risers like a sharp cornered milled grove will, the grooves would be better done with a ball mill.

Here's what I'd make the metal washers like.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

trond_solem

Quote from: Keta on January 12, 2015, 03:05:28 PM
Flats do not create stress risers like a sharp cornered milled grove will, the grooves would be better done with a ball mill.

Here's what I'd make the metal washers like.

You are right about that.
I was waiting for this comment. :-)
Machining sharp corners in two directions isn't an easy task.
However, two slots are more than enough if you use stronger steel than 316. Round profile on the cutouts and the keys in the washers may even work better than square keys. Just wait a bit and I will run another simulation.

BMITCH

Sal, thanks for the info. This will solve my short term problem. In the long term I can't wait to see what the other guru's come up with. All good stuff ;)
luck is the residue of design.

trond_solem

Well, I was wrong about stress numbers on round cutouts and round keys in the washer. This because of smaller contact areas.
It will still hold up to about 20lb drag on this single washer! That is about 100+ lbs total drag in the system.