Penn 309 upgrades??

Started by TheReelGuy850, January 14, 2015, 02:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txangler81

I wish someone would make frames for these and at least a brass gear to replace the delrin worm gear.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: TheReelGuy850 on January 14, 2015, 02:46:20 AM
Want to breathe some life into my old 309 lw.I know I can upgrade my drag. But any other suggestions to make her a bottom fishing tank?

I agree with Fred that you don't want to spend a ton of money trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and that you would probably be better off spending the money on a heavier duty reel and reserving your 309 for lighter applications, but if you have a sentimental attachment to the 309 and want to use it, one option mght be to add a Newell aluminum base which has near zero flex and would add some rigidity to the reel and keep your side plates and levelwind parts in better alignment under load.  I could deliver a good used base to you in Florida for $24 including the four longer mounting screws, but not including the rod clamp.  If that might work for you, I would be happy to send you some photos.

Thanks,

Randy

TheReelGuy850

Thanks for the input guys.I don't wanna go too wild.the reel has some sentimental value to me so I wanna keep it around and fish the mess outta it! :)  ill be using the reel for snapper, gag, mangrove snapper and kings on the n.w fla coast.
The Reel Guy
Fishing reel and rod repair service
Panama City, Florida

broschro

I love my 309 as well its now my oldest sons,he has caught some nice trigger fish, sea bass, chicken snapper, and others. i keep it set up with a two hook rig that we in north Florida call a mayport rig. if you are targeting big bottom dwellers such as Grouper, sow snapper,and Amberjack, you will definitely want to go with a 6/0 or the 4/0 Tank imo.lost a few big ones on my 4/0 to.

surfcaster

You can put jig master gears & drag upgrades in it, change the sleeve & handle.
etc etc

broschro

has anyone tried the JM gears in one yet?

fIsHsTiiCkS

The main gear is the same as the JM already

Alto Mare

The 309 is a nice reel, upgrade the drags as we've been doing, a ss sleeve and you should do just fine. A smoother reel could be pushed a little more.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

After reading this thread...I suddenly have the desire to take my old 309 and see what I can do with it. I'll agree that it's not a Senator...but I think some guys are underestimating this workhorse. Mainly in the gearing department...there's a big difference between a 309 and a 209 here. The 309 has a big #5-500...the 209 has a little #5-155!  :o

I'll also agree it's a 30lb. reel, and I'd have no reason to try taking it further. But, instead of having a reel ready to explode at 10lbs. of drag, a few upgraded parts could make it a buttery smooth one. Bryan's 5+1 kit comes to mind. Or maybe just a stock 3 washer/delrin under gear setup. Also one of Alan's ss gear sleeves would keep the handle tight. I'm on a mission......;D

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~