Old Daiwa Sealine long term project

Started by Rothmar2, January 15, 2015, 09:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

Thanks for the comments Scott. Have not worried too much about the timing of the dogs at this point. I am looking into getting a custom made SS sleeve for this reel, and I was going to see if we could get a couple of extra teeth on the A/R wheel. I will fine tune the dog timing then.
Either way, I'll be looking at alternating engagement. I'm a bit fussy about too much backplay. I don't intend on fishing too much drag with this reel in the short term anyway.
  I said I may make an SS frame for this reel, but gonna be busy for quite a while producing a few Jigmaster frames. I'm looking into just getting this one in functioning condition, before getting into a beefing up project on it.

Regards Chris.

mhc

Great restoration job on a set of plates that most would have given up on. It's personal taste, but I think the gloss black plates look good - better than the original gold in any condition - not just better the rough set you started with.
I'm curious about the gear sleeve ratchet/AR wheel - it's obviously a different metal (SS?) than the sleeve - is it fixed in place or keyed to the sleeve relying on drag pressure on the main gear to hold it in place?

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Ruffy

Chris,
I've noticed one of these in my locals second hand shop here in Darwin for $30. On the outside it looks in similar condition to yours originally was, I was just wondering if you are chasing another reels for parts or anything? If you are I am happy to help in the supply chain.

Cheers,
Andrew

Rothmar2

Hi Andrew,

Sorry I haven't seen this sooner. Currently at work in Singapore, and up to my neck in "it". Thanks for your offer and PM.
I won't be home until the end of April, but if the reel is still available then yes, I would be very interested in it.
Am happy to fix you up for postage etc. Thanks again for keeping a sharp eye out, and getting in contact.
No big deal if it has sold, but I doubt anyone would be as crazy as myself to try and restore one of these reels! :D

ez2cdave

A few pics . . .

ez2cdave

ez2cdave

Pics . . .

ez2cdave

Some more . . .

ez2cdave

Yep, more . . .

ez2cdave

Last set of Pics . . .

Ruffy

How are they right or left hand retrieve? I thought gears were cutbin a certain pattern that would only allow for one or the other?

ez2cdave

Quote from: Ruffy on April 01, 2016, 09:40:09 PM
How are they right or left hand retrieve? I thought gears were cut in a certain pattern that would only allow for one or the other?

I'm curious about that myself . . . Maybe the Gears are "Straight Cut", instead of "Helical" ???

oc1

There pictures on page one.  They look straight cut and there is an extra dog post on the opposite side.  The eccentric would be on the front of the reel in the left-hand configuration.  The clicker is peculiar but can't tell much about it.
-steve