spooling my penn fathom 40

Started by steelfish, January 16, 2015, 12:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackereljoe and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

steelfish

wow thanks guys for the many options and opinions, well, just few clarifications :

1. I really dont want to get a spool of 500yds of 80# spectra, to fill the reel with no knots, I dont have more reel to fill with 80# braid if I take this 300yds out and get a new spool of 500yds.
2. the 60# top leader is MONO, no braid, I though 10-15 yrds would fill the rest of the spool but it didnt it took 50-60yds (not my style), although some might like this way.
3. all my braid is solid, so no Chinese finger knots available for me.
4. I would prefer to keep my braid on 80#

after your opinions and my lines available I think the option #3 would be the best.

The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

Quote from: steelfish on January 16, 2015, 07:54:17 PM
wow thanks guys for the many options and opinions, well, just few clarifications :

1. I really dont want to get a spool of 500yds of 80# spectra, to fill the reel with no knots, I dont have more reel to fill with 80# braid if I take this 300yds out and get a new spool of 500yds.
2. the 60# top leader is MONO, no braid, I though 10-15 yrds would fill the rest of the spool but it didnt it took 50-60yds (not my style), although some might like this way.
3. all my braid is solid, so no Chinese finger knots available for me.
4. I would prefer to keep my braid on 80#

after your opinions and my lines available I think the option #3 would be the best.
I'm sorry, I don't think I understand your Option 3 would be best.  There are many effective methods to splice solid braid.  Loop to loop by creating a loop knot, like a bimini, in both 60# and 80# spectra and join loop to loop.  You can also go with a Uni-Uni or Seaguar knot.  My method is taking a short piece of hollow braid.  Threading the solid braid in one end of the hollow braid then coming out about 6" from the end then tying a nail or uni knot.  Then take a short pieced of solid braid then tie another nail or uni knot where the solid braid enter the hollow braid to keep it from fraying.  Then repeat on the other end.  Knots are small and minimal in bulk to allow free flowing though the guides.  If you need a short section of hollow braid, I'd gladly send you some.  You really could do it with a 2 foot section of hollow braid.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

conchydong

Bryan, I don't think he will have a problem splicing solid to solid with a well tied double uni with a dab of CA glue. He is using 80 lb spectra on a Penn Fathom. Even if the knot was at 75% the breaking strength is still way more than that reel could handle. No need to complicate things.

Bryan Young

:D  I like complicated....makes me feel valuable.  hahahaha
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on January 16, 2015, 05:55:19 PM
double layer of flex wrap, spectra straight to the top, short topshot of mono or fluoro. 

what other material to use instead of the flexwrap?
seems like the flexwrap (dupont) is only available for construction purposes in big packages $100 bucks or more and I dont need more than 1-2ft for some reels.

I was hear that electric tape could serve the same way but I have never used it before, my normal method to avoid havind my braid from slipping on spool is to use 10ft of mono line first them tie the braid line enough to fill the reel and use the topshot of selection.

I just ordered the FTH 40nLD2 to use instead of the FTH40 SD (just sold it) and now I will use a 500yd 80# braid spool and thinking to try out any other spooling method from what I normally use.

thanks in advance

fathom reels hace a ear/hole/thingy in the spool to tie the line directly, I have never feel secure using that thing, have you guys use it? any comment on using it and forget about any other method?

The Baja Guy

MarkT

Flex wrap is finger tape to keep from getting spectra cuts or bass thumb.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

johndtuttle

The little hole thingee is fine. If it ever comes to that with a fish on you are done regardless. Its just to prevent line slipping and not waste capacity or cause corrosion issues (tape can do this).

Don't worry about a little extra space on top, use it for optional long mono top shots for trolling (like a solid 50 yards of 60-100#). This is a shock leader to keep you tight to a big fish and trolling heavy line will save you break offs. Trolling is hell on connections and a little extra meat in your line will make a difference. Never met a fish line shy for a trolled lure as far as I know.

For most trolling I go 50 yards of 100# to a 500# Snap Swivel to attach the last leader for the trolled lure which will be 100-200-400# depending on the type and size of fish targeted. Maybe as light as 50 yards of 60# for Sierra but no lighter.

Buena Suerte  ;D

steelfish

Quote from: johndtuttle on April 12, 2016, 09:45:23 PM
The little hole thingee is fine. If it ever comes to that with a fish on you are done regardless. Its just to prevent line slipping and not waste capacity or cause corrosion issues (tape can do this).

thanks buddy, I think your right, in this reel I will use that spool line attaching thingy, if Penn engineers put it there it must be for a good reason, right?

I plan on use topshots or 80# when trolling on heavy rocky structure and 60# for yoyo and bait.

gracias compadre
The Baja Guy

Tiddlerbasher

x4 for the flexwrap - never had it slip. Leave a long tag on your spool knot for extra security. Tacglue hollow splices are working well for me - no knots yippeeeee!

steelfish

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on April 13, 2016, 08:40:57 AM
For flexwrap alternatives try this - cheap as chips:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-2155-Rubber-Splicing-Tape/dp/B001CGVEXS/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1460536659&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=self+almagamating+tape#Ask

I have 3-5 rolls of this same tape since few years, the one that bonds itself when stretched, but hesitant on using it before on the spool for any chemical reaction with salt, materials on the tape that make it fuse and aluminium on the reel or maybe I just paranoid and anal with my toys, thats why I played on the safe side of using 5-8ft mono as anchor
The Baja Guy

Tiddlerbasher

I've been using it for several years no probs so far :-\

steelfish

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on April 13, 2016, 09:22:52 PM
I've been using it for several years no probs so far :-\

cool, thanks I will considerate this option when I finally get my hands on the reel
The Baja Guy