Older Rod Re-wrap

Started by Reel 224, January 16, 2015, 11:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Thanks!

Jon Vadney

Great job man!

And yeah... I have yet to find a finish that I like as much as DII.  It's not perfect by any means (it seems to be more sensitive to humidity than other finishes I have used, ie: the surface can develop what's called "amine blush", where it looks hazy).  To combat this, I run a dehumidifier for about 20minutes before I do any finish work in the winter.  Summer time here in norcal = dry, so there's no need.

Reel 224

Quote from: Jon Vadney on June 22, 2015, 09:33:23 PM
Great job man!

And yeah... I have yet to find a finish that I like as much as DII.  It's not perfect by any means (it seems to be more sensitive to humidity than other finishes I have used, ie: the surface can develop what's called "amine blush", where it looks hazy).  To combat this, I run a dehumidifier for about 20minutes before I do any finish work in the winter.  Summer time here in norcal = dry, so there's no need.

Thanks John; I finished that rod back in Feb.. I haven't experienced any problems with humidity as yet, but we have a very good air handling system in our home which has a Ionizing system so that could have something to do with it. That old wrap and rod is probably 40years old or better and I was worried about the Epoxy not adhering to that old finish,but two coats worked out fine.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Newell Nut

Everything looks nice. Old rods can look great with a little patience and a little luck does not hurt either.

Reel 224

Quote from: Newell Nut on June 22, 2015, 10:56:18 PM
Everything looks nice. Old rods can look great with a little patience and a little luck does not hurt either.

In my case luck has a lot to do with it. ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Alto Mare

Nice Job Joe! that rod looks great!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Thanks for all the complements gentleman, I still have a lot to learn to be in the class of you guys. That is why I'm here.

thorhammer

I'm optimistic but its it gonna hit a 100 degrees with about 80% humidity here in NC this weekend.....may wait a bit and actually fish instead.

Reel 224

Quote from: thorhammer on June 23, 2015, 01:22:59 PM
I'm optimistic but its it gonna hit a 100 degrees with about 80% humidity here in NC this weekend.....may wait a bit and actually fish instead.

That may be a good idea, we were planing a fishing trip out to the Navy pier here in NJ but with the sever weather we are expecting we decided to postpone it to tomorrow. The Navy will not let us out there when bad weather is predicted. Temps here are supposed to get near 100 with heavy rain and a possible tornado. 

Keta

What's the strange material the fore grip is made out of.... ;D
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

Quote from: Keta on June 23, 2015, 01:58:44 PM
What's the strange material the fore grip is made out of.... ;D

CORK!! ;D I know EVA has taking over most rod building today, the cork was in really great shape the only thing I had to do was lightly sand it and then seal it here is a picture of the butt.

Keta

Cork feels right to this "old guy".
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

Quote from: Keta on June 23, 2015, 02:45:02 PM
Cork feels right to this "old guy".

My wife likes it too, and so do I. I'm working on a new rod Idea with cork grips and a few other goodies with Ideas I have gotten from John V and Newell Nut. Next thing is figuring what reel Ill be using. Something in a 7.5' to 8' stick MH Picking the rod is the hard part for me,second is which reel stile conventional or Spinning. It's like a chicken in a barnyard full of fox. Don't know which direction to run! ;D

Steve-O

Great job! The finish looks fantastic.

On your new rod build....if you go conventional and haven't tried acid wrap....you should. What a difference. After one acid wrap....going forward all mine will be.

Reel 224

Quote from: Steve-O on June 23, 2015, 04:22:40 PM
Great job! The finish looks fantastic.

On your new rod build....if you go conventional and haven't tried acid wrap....you should. What a difference. After one acid wrap....going forward all mine will be.

If I understand you correctly you are talking about the acid rod guide system, that is supposed to go with the torque of the rod? I have a friend that has done a few like that, I have the gauge and instructions,but I would have him come over and assist me with the guide placement for my first try at it.