Damage to Lever Drag Reels by Setting Drag in Strike

Started by Craigen, January 20, 2015, 08:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on January 22, 2015, 03:33:11 AM
John just a question, as I have had this question with several people. If you plan to run at #5, than why not switch to a lighter line test. Would that not aid in helping catch? Just a conversation.

Well, maybe :). Of course stealth is important for some species and some times.

But, if you get bit heavy and you have heavier line on you can really bump up the drag and the heavier line has much more abrasion resistance. And with a lever drag you quickly can push to full to increase it quite a bit. Lever drags allow you to do this easily of course, but star drags are still preferred for many things (ie better casting and lighter spools for live bait fishing etc) but that's another topic.

Anyways, even with light drag abrasion resistance is useful and sometimes to fish lighter you need even better gear and knot tying ability etc etc. A moderate choice allows a more rough and tumble approach with less stress on everyone. It just really depends on the species and the other duties the rig is asked to do. Generally, if they will bite 30lb I use it, even if I only need 5lbs of drag to land them (example west coast rockfish).

The game changer is braid. You can fish 50 and have the capacity as if you were fishing 12lb mono..then put on whatever leader is required. :) That way you get all the advantages of a light line and leader when you need 15lb fluoro, then you can tie on 60lb mono and maybe use the same reel for light trolling.

Bryan Young

I set the minimum drag setting and the move up.  One way that I do this on some reels is back off the preset knob where the spool is still free spooling in strike setting. Then turn the preset know while in strike until the spool slows down.  You can often hear the drag washer contact the spool.  Then go into freespool then turn the preset know 1/4 turn then click first notch right out of freespool and measure the drag (if any).  Then slide the drag 1/4 to 1/2 to strike and measure the drag.  Then 3/4 then to strike and measure the drag.  Then back to free spool, 1/4 turn preset knob and repeat drag measurement.  Each time I adjust the preset knob, I start at 1/4 turn decreasing to 1/8 or 1/16 or less until I get my max strike drag pressure...which is about 1/4 of line strength.   Full then should be about 1/3 of line strength.  That is the way I set them for my reels.  I hope this is clearer.

But for Accurates, it's a bit different because the drag is either off or on.  I find it hard for fine drag adjustments on Accurates.  Maybe it's just me...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

What Bryan and John have stated is very good info but I'd like to add a little about lever drag reels. 

On most lever drag reels the manufacture will list two drag ratings. Normally the first listing is the max drag at strike and the second is the max drag at full. Now on many lever drag reels lets say you set the drag at the max strike setting the manufacture lists. Most times if you measure the drag when pushed to full with the drag set at the max setting at strike you will find that your over the maximum of the full rating of the reel and if you fish the reel at full you will start to cause damage. 

Many people think if they set their drag at or close to the max at strike they will remain below the max at full and this is not the case for most LD reels. This is because of the cam in LD reels are not fully linier in their design, meaning if you set the drag at its max drag at strike you will not exceed the manufactures maximum  full drag pressure when pushing the lever to the full setting. Many times with LD reels set at the maximum at strike you will notice your drag pressure will be over the manufactures max at full if you have to push the reel to it's full setting.

wallacewt

dont take the manufacturers word for it,they speak with fork tongue ;)
if he says its 40lb max set  it a  30lb max
20lb set max at 15lb etc;pull lever back to strike
and see what you,ve got,if your happy fish on

Bryan Young

Agreed.  I never fish my few lever drags anywhere near max.  Maybe that is why I have never had a problem.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Reel 224

Well there has been lots of discussion about lever drags here and my take from it as a novas is almost the same as star drags, that is don't over adjust. And know your targeted fish so as to properly adjust drag for that species. I think that pretty much sums it up.

Not to diminish the instruction on the procedure of adjusting drag for LD reels. I appreciate the assistance in helping me understand the right and wrong ways to adjust drag on my LD. Now I can fish without fear of screwing up the reel. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: johndtuttle on January 22, 2015, 03:46:27 AM
Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on January 22, 2015, 03:33:11 AM
John just a question, as I have had this question with several people. If you plan to run at #5, than why not switch to a lighter line test. Would that not aid in helping catch? Just a conversation.

Well, maybe :). Of course stealth is important for some species and some times.

But, if you get bit heavy and you have heavier line on you can really bump up the drag and the heavier line has much more abrasion resistance. And with a lever drag you quickly can push to full to increase it quite a bit. Lever drags allow you to do this easily of course, but star drags are still preferred for many things (ie better casting and lighter spools for live bait fishing etc) but that's another topic.

Anyways, even with light drag abrasion resistance is useful and sometimes to fish lighter you need even better gear and knot tying ability etc etc. A moderate choice allows a more rough and tumble approach with less stress on everyone. It just really depends on the species and the other duties the rig is asked to do. Generally, if they will bite 30lb I use it, even if I only need 5lbs of drag to land them (example west coast rockfish).

The game changer is braid. You can fish 50 and have the capacity as if you were fishing 12lb mono..then put on whatever leader is required. :) That way you get all the advantages of a light line and leader when you need 15lb fluoro, then you can tie on 60lb mono and maybe use the same reel for light trolling.

I have spoken to a few ppl about this and most reasons fall under abrasion resistance. I am just a big fan of 1/3 drag setting of whatever rated line, even if the drag setting is over kill for that fish. Ill skii them on top of the water than   ;D. I just have become a minimalist for fishing line. I will use the lightest line possible. Ppl look at me crazy when bust out 15lb line for 15-25lb yellow tail  fishing. But at 5lb of drag I have no prob getting these fish in. I will say my normal line use is 20-30lb line for most of my fishing out here on the west coast. I RARELY use more unless im throwing lures or trolling. All trips in the 1-3 day range

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 22, 2015, 05:52:18 AM
I set the minimum drag setting and the move up.  One way that I do this on some reels is back off the preset knob where the spool is still free spooling in strike setting. Then turn the preset know while in strike until the spool slows down.  You can often hear the drag washer contact the spool.  Then go into freespool then turn the preset know 1/4 turn then click first notch right out of freespool and measure the drag (if any).  Then slide the drag 1/4 to 1/2 to strike and measure the drag.  Then 3/4 then to strike and measure the drag.  Then back to free spool, 1/4 turn preset knob and repeat drag measurement.  Each time I adjust the preset knob, I start at 1/4 turn decreasing to 1/8 or 1/16 or less until I get my max strike drag pressure...which is about 1/4 of line strength.   Full then should be about 1/3 of line strength.  That is the way I set them for my reels.  I hope this is clearer.

But for Accurates, it's a bit different because the drag is either off or on.  I find it hard for fine drag adjustments on Accurates.  Maybe it's just me...

I have not had the pleasure of fishing many lever drags. I have acquired a few 2 speeds lately and was wondering the best way to set strike and full. Most people I speak to say they rarely use full, as they just set the drag at strike and if need be slight increase in lever if more drag is needed. That doesnt make sense to me as the advantage of the lever drag is the pre set drag ranges. I REALLY like the way you set your strike and full, 1/4 and 1/3 is the perfect way. Thanks Bryan!