What is the magnet in a 970 affecting?

Started by Rancanfish, October 07, 2014, 10:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VW

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on October 09, 2014, 04:32:22 PM
The last Penn 500 I modded used one 20x5 mm neodymium mag. It was a ring mag with a counter sunk hole in the middle (very easy to attach a machine screw to make the whole thing adjustable  ;))

Can you explain how the adjustment works.  That is something I have been trying to accomplish.

Tiddlerbasher

No problem:

Knob of choice - nyloc nut - spring - ring magnet- screw

and assembled:

Drill and tap the sideplate or drill and glue the nut to the inside of the plate.
Dependant upon the reel you will obviously have varying amounts of space between the spool and sideplate - play around with magnet/screw/nut size until the desired effect is achieved. Get the magnet close enough to the spool (without actually touching Doh!) and you can stop most spools within a couple of seconds - the choice is yours.
Temporarily lock nut the knob to the screw until the adjustment range is finalised - then cut the screw to length - threadlock the knob to the screw (or lock nut it).

I find the adjustable mag control has one major advantage over the fixed mag. At night, when you cast, you can't see where your bait/lure is. Minimizing any overun, with your thumb, becomes difficult. Just screw in your mag control and problem is really reduced (practice during the day to find the optimal settings).

VW

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on October 10, 2014, 11:06:04 AM
No problem:

That is simple enough. I was over complicating it. For one thing, that is a large magnet. Was surprised to hear there is room for it. And, from experience, I assumed that would probably not be enough. Thanks for the info.

Tiddlerbasher

Size, in this case, is not so important  ;) The closer you can get a magnet, even a small one, will have more of an effect. The ring magnets I have used start at 6 - thru 8, 10 15, 20mm and 2-6 mm thick. Try Ebay for a selection. For the 500 I can't actually remember the exact size I used  :-[

steelfish

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on October 10, 2014, 11:06:04 AM
No problem:

Knob of choice - nyloc nut - spring - ring magnet- screw

and assembled:

Drill and tap the sideplate or drill and glue the nut to the inside of the plate.
Dependant upon the reel you will obviously have varying amounts of space between the spool and sideplate - play around with magnet/screw/nut size until the desired effect is achieved. Get the magnet close enough to the spool (without actually touching Doh!) and you can stop most spools within a couple of seconds - the choice is yours.
Temporarily lock nut the knob to the screw until the adjustment range is finalised - then cut the screw to length - threadlock the knob to the screw (or lock nut it).

I find the adjustable mag control has one major advantage over the fixed mag. At night, when you cast, you can't see where your bait/lure is. Minimizing any overun, with your thumb, becomes difficult. Just screw in your mag control and problem is really reduced (practice during the day to find the optimal settings).

this looks like a really nice project.

did you remember where did you found that knob?

so, the idea is to meassure the screw to the point that is closer to the spool without touching it as the MAX mag set and the work from that to the LOWER mag setting, right?

The Baja Guy

Three se7ens

Ive seen a few mentions of magnetic vs non-magnetic stainless.  Heres a general breakdown:

300 series (301, 303, 304, 309, 316, etc) are not magnetic.

400 series (410, 416, 420, 440, etc) generally are magnetic

PH series (17-4, 17-7, etc) generally are magnetic. 

Tiddlerbasher

Steelfish you got it. All the parts came from various fleabay suppliers (sorry I don't keep notes just a fresh search each time)

canoecaper

The 970 / 980 mags are adjustable.  They are not tournament reels any more so you don't need to back them off on the fly.

If they are a problem.
1.  Have you over filled them.  At least a couple of mm down.  0.40mm mono or thicker.  Prevents line trapping too.
2.  Casting style.  Nice smooth pendulum with an 11ft drop or greater.
3.  Nearly no mag and just a touch of spindle for night work.

If you are not stopping it quickly enough, practice.

A good cast, 150yards, lasts for approx 6 secs so count.
The line will continue to cast itself even after the lead has touched down.
A quick stop, then release allows the loose coils to come off as the lead to sinks.

Rgds.

Malcolm