Old Penn 209

Started by Deepennz, October 19, 2016, 09:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deepennz

Hi there. My first post - long time looker, mainly as a guest. This website is so addictive I can't believe it's not illegal.!! I'm now hooked with the Penn "bug".
I have been slowly collecting pre 1975 Penn conventionals that are available in New Zealand, stripping them down, cleaning them, giving them the A T treatment, new drags etc.
Although they are all 'shelfies" my objective is that they will be good to fish with in another 50 years.
Any way, I recently came across an old (pre 1960) 209, the brown model with the original left side plate. It had been thoroughly abused. Someone had ground down the stand(30-66), and removed the level wind mechanism. I have replaced the stand.
My question is - if I purchase a recent(1990's) 209, is the levelwind mechanism the same, ie can I replace the missing parts with parts from a later model?
Cheers
Martin

akfish

Yes, I am at least 99% certain that the level wind parts from a current model will fit an older model. Do make sure the idler gear is OK; this is the only part of the level and system that may differ.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mizmo67

Diameter changes on the three gears that drive the worm.
If you scroll down a little you can read them in the part description for the #64
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/64-209.aspx
The other worm parts, to my knowledge, have no known changes.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Shark Hunter

Welcome Martin. ;)
The 209 is definitely a classic.
Life is Good!

Dominick

Welcome Martin.  Have fun on the site.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

Welcome Martin, the 209 is a great reel and Im sure Mo will chime in later, I would consider him a great resource on the 209....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

Welcome Aboard Martin! I missed this thread earlier...this place is busy...threads get shuffled down fast. That ol' 209 is a workhorse. They get fished hard around here in southern Ohio. Most times well beyond their design limitations.

There are mods you can perform to get the most from this reel...strengthening it's weal points...and improving it's capabilities. A steel main gear, steel gear sleeve, and carbontex drag washers will bring you to the safe power ceiling. Anything over 15lbs. drag could twist these reels. There just isn't enough frame to handle more.

But wait...15 pounds is healthy. If you spool up with 30lb. test,You'd set drag at around 7-8lbs. That's well below the 15lb. ceiling. I'd be scared for the levelwind if a big tuna ran off with me...but for catfishing a river these reels are excellent 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~