Lever Drag reels

Started by nelz, January 27, 2015, 09:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

As all ready mentioned the Penn Fathom lever drags are extremely hard to match for dollars spent. The Fathom star drags are also fantastic. While they claim 25 lbs. of drag I'm getting over 20 but not 25 lbs. @ full spool, from my 3 star drag 25Ns.  

If you get a lever drag or to get the most from any reel you need to purchase drag scales. So you will know where your drag is set & can also set it properly. Your description of being hard to crank is indicative of a lever reel with a drag that's set to high. But you will never know this for certain with out drag scales.

At present I am not sold on lever drags as my only go to reel. 

nelz

Rivverrat, I've fished stars all my life, pretty much covered there. A few years ago I actually purchased an Accurate Boss but returned it, just didn't care for the feel of the lever drag design. I've decided to give the LD's another try though, "just because", but not shellin' out $$$ for an Accurate this time.

Rivverrat

Might try a Fathom lever drag. While I don't own one I've used 3 different ones that were loaned to me. Pretty good reels. I think they compare well to some more pricey reels. 

Big Tim

Most of the input you are receiving is coming from guys that know far more than I do, but you might want to look into this reel:

http://www.srmo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=srmo&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=Penn-conv-Reels&Product_Code=P009107

I can throw a 4oz. jig a country mile as well as live bait...fast as hell and a 2 speed to boot...33lbs. of max drag and very light 19.6oz ... I love mine

My 2 cents...Tim

Keta

I have one of them, nice reel but I got it too late in the season to use.  I also have a star 25N with low speed gearing, thanks to Alan C.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

nelz

Hey Big Tim, wow that's a heck of a deal, but I never heard of that vendor. You ever deal with them?

Big Tim

I have made 5 purchases from them and they are as right as rain.

I have dealt with this guy as well of eBay...all his stuff is new out of box, good price and free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/riceking704/m.html?item=171666904545&hash=item27f82515e1&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Tim

Three se7ens

Quote from: nelz on February 04, 2015, 02:50:49 AM
Hey Big Tim, wow that's a heck of a deal, but I never heard of that vendor. You ever deal with them?

I've used them 4-5 times, and they have been fantastic. Good shipping and good communication if you have any questions.

Bryan Young

the Metaloid are nice reels...I have one in for service.  One thing that I don't like about this reel is that there is not lip on the spool for me to thumb the spool when casting.  I don't like to thumb the line myself.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mike1010

Quote from: nelz on February 04, 2015, 02:50:49 AM

I often buy from srmo despite getting hit with NJ sales tax.  Their prices are low enough to out-weigh that, and their service is good.

bluefish69

I have been using srmo for at least 5 yrs. I know Charter Boats up here in NY that buy from them.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

nelz

Does the Metaloid have the "thrust bearing"?

Jeri

Hi

For casting and lighter boat use, I would recommend either the Release SG or LG depending on your desire for capacity and huge drag capacity, or the Avet MXL MC.

I've used the SG and MXL MC extensively for surf casting and both work just fine, though a little wild in the casting due to the better free spool of the lever drag build. Both are pre-loaded with about 300 metres of 30lb braid, then a top shot of 200 metres of 30lb mono – cast like dream.

The Avet MXL MC needed some tuning of the magnet to get free spool increased, as in the standard format it was just impossible to get distance, as the placement or thickness of the magnet is too strong – we shave 0.1mm off the face, and now have a super reel, with magnetic control of the casting – the 'full blood' MXL is just a little too fast.

Both reels would be idea for boat fishing, though the Release having the stronger drag capabilities might be more tempting – depends on what your catching. The Avet drag is great, and the reel works fine if you respect the manufacturers limits on settings – haven't yet changed the pinion bearing in mine after 4 years.

Both good companies, and right there if you need spares. I wouldn't trade mine in for anything, they give me casts well over 150 metres off the beach.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Capt Ahab

For casting you are better off with a star reel  Just my HO

day0ne

Quote from: SoCalAngler on January 28, 2015, 05:20:06 AM
A two speed reel for 30 lb test IMO is over kill but can come in handy if looking to bump the reel to 40 lb toppers but he stated straight mono. For long casts off a pier the heavier two speed spool would not be my first choice. Also at around $90 to $100 less for a Chinese knock off of an American reel I'm not fully sold on Omoto reels. Let me state I have never fished, played with or let alone seen any of their Triple reels and I trust what you think Sal, but in the past Omoto has made claims about their reels that fell way short of what others have found.

On most of my lever drag reels (if not all of them) the 1 and 2 speed reels use the same spool and the 2 speed isn't any heavier. What is heavier is a lever drag spool vs a star drag spool as a rule, giving the casting advantage to the star drag, at least a little bit.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter