New Handles

Started by broadway, November 06, 2010, 06:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 15, 2011, 07:40:54 PM
Quote from: Pescachaser on November 15, 2011, 05:24:12 AM
.  I love the silver and gold look.  Sort of like a Rolex watch band of platinum and gold. 

I don't have a rolex watch to compare it to, would a timex do?  Nice handles.
Ask your buddy if he would like to swap that red spool for a chromed one or a black one.

Sal:  Too late.  You mentioned that the red spool was an anniversary model so I told the owner.  If you have a gold and platinum Timex, I'll buy it from you.  Name your price.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

hey pesca
i sold a sheet of carbontex to justin and he came up 5 bucks light.said sorry and sent $5,made up of 5-10-20-50 cent pieces,taped together,in a christmas card.now you cant trust these sheep lovers,so i got my prize kangaroo to give his prize ewe the works.result was a beautiful woolly jumper.merry xmas justin.

redsetta

Well, truth be told, I posted payment before postage was accounted for, so another fiver was required.
Would've costed NZ$12 in bank fees to get a fiver in ozzie notes, so I used change I had on hand...
Made for a funny story though, and a lovely wooly jumper...  ;D
You're a gem Wallace - don't go changin'.  ;)
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

You guys are too much! :)  Gave me a good laugh also.   ;D ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

G'day lads,
I'm hoping you might be able to help with a small issue.
I've added a round power handle to my 9500SS and have a gap between the base of the new handle and the handle blank, despite the internal post and Phillips-head being fully fastened down.
Here's the situation:

The handle slides laterally about 1/4 inch because the internal post protrudes from the base of the handle.
The only option appears to be to drill out the handle blank to the width of the internal post, but I'm obviously hesitant to do so.
Am I missing something here? Any thoughts/suggestions?
Cheers, Justin

Alto Mare

Nice looking knob Justin. Did you enlarge the hole? usually the gets enlarged with a 6mm bit.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Thanks Sal - that's what I figured, but didn't want to charge in with the drill before exploring all options.
I'm being extra careful as it's my last original handle and they're no longer available from Penn or Scotts.
I've got to put a newer SSM-style handle on my 8500SS as the old one broke yesterday as I was drilling out the old post.
I've also got to change to the newer pinion and main gear on the 9500SS as they're also out of stock.
Cheers mate, Justin

Alto Mare

Justin, if you break the handle, you can still purchgase a replacement from eBay. I think that they cost $49, t they come with your knob pre-set. About the gears, Scott's still has the main gears, but they're made of aluminum with a brass shaft, the pinion is brass and the crosswind gear is also brass. The aluminum main gears are not as bad as they say, I've serviced a few of these reels and usually the crosswind gear goes before the main gear does.

redsetta

That's great news Sal - was just considering all that.
I'll collect the new parts today and get this project knocked off.
Handle's done now too - thanks again.

Cheers mate, Justin

Alto Mare

Justin, did you have the drill ready to go on your keyboard, or are you a magician? ;D ;D

Alto Mare

Justin, I checked ebay and can't find the older style handle. I know they had it ...probably all sold out :-\. I did find the newer style with the same knob as the one you have. I've been asking if someone would make us some sick looking handles for those great reels, but no luck, as of yet :(.

redsetta

Thanks Sal.
I've just drilled out a newer handle that I had in stock, so will just use that on the 8500SS instead.
Need another power handle from Dawn now though...
And so it goes on...  ;)
Cheers, Justin
PS Just picked up the remaining parts for my 9500SS rebuild, so will load up a story this evening if it all comes together...