Questrion about Seeker blanks

Started by Ron Jones, August 30, 2015, 07:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

John,
On the first AT trip I had the pleasure of using Alan's 9ft Super Seeker jig stick. If someone ever asked me to design my perfect rod, I'd tell them that that was it. However, I grew up lusting over the Sabres. We had 2, a light spinning rod and a Stroker that we used for halibut. I grew up cleaning party boats and helping guys on the docks with their gear and I always fell over when I saw those long yellow rods sticking out of the cart.

With that out of the way, my question is is their a big difference between the 9 ft Pinhead, which I'm guessing is a close as you can get to a new Sabre, and the SS 890-9' CT? If their is a significant casting performance increase, then I will through nostalgia in the crapper and buy the SS. If not, then the PinHead will make my heart happy. Unless someone has one of the old, yellow, Seeker West Coast rods that are 9 ft long floating around.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Hi Ron,

Alan doesn't have that rod anymore...I bought it from him 2 months ago.  I have to to try it out but will next week.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jon Vadney

Quote from: noyb72 on August 30, 2015, 07:18:23 PM
John,
On the first AT trip I had the pleasure of using Alan's 9ft Super Seeker jig stick. If someone ever asked me to design my perfect rod, I'd tell them that that was it. However, I grew up lusting over the Sabres. We had 2, a light spinning rod and a Stroker that we used for halibut. I grew up cleaning party boats and helping guys on the docks with their gear and I always fell over when I saw those long yellow rods sticking out of the cart.

With that out of the way, my question is is their a big difference between the 9 ft Pinhead, which I'm guessing is a close as you can get to a new Sabre, and the SS 890-9' CT? If their is a significant casting performance increase, then I will through nostalgia in the crapper and buy the SS. If not, then the PinHead will make my heart happy. Unless someone has one of the old, yellow, Seeker West Coast rods that are 9 ft long floating around.

Ron

Hey Ron! The pinheads are solid S glass and are a bit slower than the SS rods. You will get more distance out of the SS. On the flip side, while its damn near impossible to match those old sabre actions, the pinhead will be closer than the SS.

Ron Jones

Bryan, that is no fair. I was underwater, defending our country, and you bought that rod out from under me! That is about as silly as I get  :P. That is an amazing rod you have there, If you ever want to get rid of it, you know who to call. I hope you enjoy it.

OK, John, the SS it is. No one sells them here and so I'm going to have to figure out the cheapest shipping to Hawaii for a 9ft tube. I figured I might get one from Chark Bait before going to Rosarito but I see they no longer carry Seeker.

Thanks all,
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

SoCalAngler

Stop by The Longfin in Orange, it's not out of the way if you will be going by Charkbait. Maybe call before hand and make sure they have the blank your talking about.

Oh and by the way the "new" Penn Sabre's are not like the "old" Sabre's.

Ron Jones

I'm up to speed on all of the Sabre iteration's. In all honesty if I HAD to buy a cheap rod the things called "Sabre" that are sold by Big 5 right now are possibly the best bet for $20.00. God I'm glad I'm not that desperate any more.

I've been to LongFin quite a few times, I haven't been to Charkbait. I am flying into SD en route to Rosarito so anything that far North is to far. Maybe I can arange to have a Point Loma shop have one but man those places are spendy. I'll figure it out.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Bryan Young

I would also check out Squidco and Angler's Center. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Ron,

Jon can get you what you need and ship it out to you as well.

Bryan

alantani

I'm sure Bryan will let you use it anytime you want.  Hopefully we will all be on next year's trip together.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Quote from: alantani on August 31, 2015, 05:45:09 PM
I'm sure Bryan will let you use it anytime you want.  Hopefully we will all be on next year's trip together.
If it's on the boat, and not in someone else's hand, it's free game to use.

Dominick

Members, I have a Penn Slammer 760 that I leave with my friend in Mexico.  It is on a 13 ft. surf rod.  I'd like to use it on a heavy duty boat rod.  As you know when we are targeting dorado, rooster fish and schoolie tuna we don't use big game reels.  I'd like a semi stiff spinner rod that will not cost a fortune.  Does anyone have one to sell or can recommend one that I can start a search for?  I think I have the reel spooled with 30 lb. fluorocarbon I'm not sure.  I have had it on for several years so It is due for a change.  Any recommendations on line type and weight.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

SoCalAngler

Those 760's get alot of drag maxing out at around 20 lbs. If fishing strait 30lb mono you can get around 230 yards on it. The reel will fish 40 lb toppers fine also if you spectra back the reel. You may want to go with something like a 50 lb spectra backing, something like 150 yards and a long topper of 40 lb mono. That way when you do cast you will only be casting the mono and the spectra will only be there for backing when you do hook that monster.

Dom you are fishing south of where I fish in Baja mostly, but I do like fishing 40 lb topshots often where I fish. Dorado aren't very line shy and you may be fishing the smaller models when a big bull finds your offering. Or you cast out a bait to one only to be picked up by those pesky stripers or sails. For me 40 allows me to get those fish in quicker for a better release. With good boat handling skills and a angler that really pulls on a fish 30 will work too. But, using a 40 lb topper and you want to use it on the smaller grade tuna or other fishes where 30 lb will work better just add a short piece of 30 lb fluoro on top of the 40 lb and adjust the drags a bit lighter and your good to go.

A nice all glass 7' rod should work nicely for either 30 or 40 lb on a spinner and even new should not break the bank, Also, you should be able to find some used at even a lower cost. A 7' Calstar or Seeker all glass rod is worth paying a few bucks more for than many of the "budget" rods out there IMO.

Newell Nut

Quote from: Dominick on September 01, 2015, 12:18:57 AM
Members, I have a Penn Slammer 760 that I leave with my friend in Mexico.  It is on a 13 ft. surf rod.  I'd like to use it on a heavy duty boat rod.  As you know when we are targeting dorado, rooster fish and schoolie tuna we don't use big game reels.  I'd like a semi stiff spinner rod that will not cost a fortune.  Does anyone have one to sell or can recommend one that I can start a search for?  I think I have the reel spooled with 30 lb. fluorocarbon I'm not sure.  I have had it on for several years so It is due for a change.  Any recommendations on line type and weight.  Dominick

The seeker Hercules GTS70M would work great for what you are describing. Soft enough to cast and plenty of backbone. Just like the one that I build for Sal a while back except his is conventional. A Rainshadow with similar characteristics would save a few bucks and they come in 7' 9" length.